Should the amount of swelling and bruising 3 days after facial rejuvenation be equal on each side of the face? (photos)

Should I be concerned that the fat transfer was not equal and proportionate to each side of my face, or could I just have experienced more trauma to the left side than the right?

Should the amount of swelling and bruising be equal on each side of the face?

In general there is typically a different amount of swelling (mild amount) and/or bruising on each side of the face after a facial rejuvenation procedure like fat transfer or even a facelift, especially after three days. With time the symmetry will or should appear.  If there is ever a significant difference with pain then you should contact your surgeon to make sure everything is healing normally.

Tip: making sure you sleep on your back and not on your side may be helpful as sleeping on your side can create more swelling on the the dependent (lower) side.  

Fat Transfer Recovery

It is not uncommon to have some mild, uneven swelling after fat transfer surgery.  The trauma from surgery will always cause bruising and swelling after a procedure, that may be worse on one side compared to the other.  Allow up to three months for the fat to "settle", and at that time you will have a better idea of your result.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon