What Are the Affects of Gap Bands? And What Are Other Options for a Small Gap in the Front Teeth?

I want to close my gap the cheapest way possible. Also I want a solution that isn't noticeable such as braces and I want a faster solution.

Gap bands?

+1

the most important point is when you close space you will create space in other areas so make sure you understand this... Also the bands most be monitored if not they can cause gum problems good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Gap Between the front teeth

+1

Hi there. There are two quick and inexpensive ways to handle a gap between the front teeth. You can use the gap band or you can have them bonded to fill in the gap. Bonding is done in one session in the dental office. It will not last as long as veneers but is much cheaper with no tooth reduction and you will have immediate results!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Sounds too good to be true

+1

Thanks for bringing gap bands to my attention - I have to admit, I have not heard about them until I read your question.  I took a few minutes to google them and they indeed look very interesting.    As a consumer, I've always gone by the addeage "if it sounds too good to be true...."   As  a dentist, I believe there is a place for everything, but you first try to understand what is the problem and what is causing/contributing to the problem before you start looking at alternatives.   

I recommend you start by discussing your desire to close the small gap in your front teeth with your general dentist.  He/she may have some ideas or they might refer you to an orthodontist (most orthodontists offer free consultations.)   It is important to understand why that gap exists.. is it because your teeth are naturally small, is it because you are using to thrusting your tongue against your upper teeth which can cause them to flare out, are you starting to have some recession and are showing the small gap, etc.  

Generally speaking, if everything else is stable and there are no occlusal issues present, small gaps can be fixed relatively quickly using bonding or veneers.  Bonding or no-prep veneers are usually preferred since they are less invasive. 

Mika Miyamoto-Shemali, DDS
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Many options

+1

Gap bands can do a good job of closing a small space between front teeth, but I would recommend going through your dentist in order to make sure that no other factors will come into play.  Also, when you use a gap band more than likely you will gain space in other areas.  However, this is probably the fastest and cheapest route to closing the gap.

Other options to fix the space include a more comprehensive orthodontic treatment (ideal if you have other misalignment issues, but may include braces), composite bonding, or veneers (full coverage or not).  Depending on your individual circumstance, one may be better than another.

Good Luck!

-Dr. Allen

Allen Mortimer, DDS
Flint Cosmetic Dentist

Gap in front teeth

+1

If you have a front teeth gap can be solved with Porcelain Veneers, or any orthodontics devices. The Veneers solution its a long term with very good results.

About Gap Bands, if you use that, you will create another gaps between lateral incisal teeths and incisal front teeth, and there is a possibility that your front teeth dont move straight. by the way Gap bands are not approved by ADA.

Jose Alonso MD, DDS,

Jose Alonso, MD, DDS
Dominican Republic Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding is easiest

+1

For a small space 1-1.5 mm, your best bet is bonding (referred to as diastema closure). Done properly, the results are outstanding with minimal cost to you and best of all no injection needed!!

Aria Irvani, DDS
Irvine Cosmetic Dentist

Small Gap

+1

The cheapest way to close the gap is direct bonding.  Another alternative is veneers.  The most conservative way is Invisalign, but that can be expensive.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist