What Are the Advantages in Mommy Makeover?

I am 26 and have 3 children. After giving birth to my 3rd child I have managed to get the weight off but my breast and stomach need the surgery. I want to get a tummy tuck, and a breast lift.I read about the Mommy make over but my friends keep telling me it's better to get each procedure done seperately because each surgeonr is best at a specific body part. Is this true? What are the advantages of doing it together in the mommy make over? Thank you in advanced

Advantages of Mommy Makeover In One Procedure

+4

Thank you for your question. First, let me say that a two step procedure is perfectly acceptable if this is what you are more comfortable with.

However, most patients choose to have a Mommy Makeover to restore the appearance of their Breasts and Tummy in one procedure.

The advantages of having a Mommy Makeover as one procedure are primarily:

1. One surgery, anesthesia and recovery as opposed to two
  2. Less cost

There is no safety advantage and in fact multiple procedures at one time do increase the chances of complications slightly.

The key is finding an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can achieve this surgery in a safe amount of time, certainly less than 6 hours and hopefully around 4 hours.

Personally I do the Mommy Makeover with a second Plastic Surgeon as a team procedure which reduces surgical time significantly. The longer the procedure takes the more risk of complications.

Mommy Makeovers are done by plastic surgeons in one surgery.

+2

Breast rejuvenation and tummy tuck are done in one surgery all the time by surgeons certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  We are trained in surgical treatment of the whole body and while a few of us may do only tummy tuck or breast augmentation, most of us work routinely on breast, bellies, faces, etc.  There are definite advantages to having breast and belly work done at the same time, the most significant of which is that you have only one recovery.  This is very important for young mothers such as yourself as you would only need to arrange for help with your small children for one postoperative period.  If you are healthy, I most definitely recommend having all the elements of the Mommy Makeover done at the same time.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Advantages of Mommy Make Over

+2

The advantages of a mommy make-over:

1. one operation - so one recovery and less time away from family and work.

2. costs less - fees for a procedure are less when two are done at one time.

3. Board Certified Plastic Surgeons across the country are fully trained in all cosmetic procedures including breast and abdominal ones and get very good results.

4. But it's ok to have the operations at different times. A breast lift has a faster recovery from a tummy tuck. Some women take off a week for a breast lift. Later they find the 2+ weeks that a tummy tuck recovery requires.

So really - it's not right or wrong. It's what works best for you.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Advantages of the Mommy Makeover

+2

There are several advantages to the Mommy Makeover procedure for healthy patients versus having them done as separate procedures. First of all there is a time saving advantage for the busy Mom who will only need to take time off for healing for just one surgery. Secondly Mom only has to go through one recovery period. And thirdly there can be a cost savings with combining procedures. There are many experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons that are well trained in all procedures. Be sure to ask to see before and after pictures and ask to speak to 2 or 3 patients. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Plastic surgeons are experts in mommy makeover

+2

You know the benefits of having a mommy makeover in one session: one recovery time, lower expenses overall. While some plastic surgeons focus on particular procedures, abdominoplasty, breast lift, and breast augmentation are all operations that an experienced plastic surgeon can do well. It makes little sense to shop around for each different part of it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy Makeover vs. separate surgeries.

+2

Combining multiple procedures for your "mommy makeover" is a decision that you must make with your plastic surgeon. Board certified plastic surgeons with experience performing the individual surgeries that you seek will often combine procedures with one resultant recovery period, one anesthesia, and a financial savings for the patient.

It is not common to find cosmetic plastic surgeons who specialize "in one body part" and do not have experience performing the other options offered with a mommy makeover.

Combining surgical procedures (with reasonable operative times) has become very popular among young, healthy women. Safety is the primary limiting factor in deciding to extend anesthesia times in higher risk patients.

Best regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Surgeries - Should They Be Done Together?

+2

Thank you for this excellent question.  Several assumptions would have to be made in order to answer your question.  I will assume you are healthy, you don't smoke, you are going to add an implant to the lift, and possibly minimal liposuction.  If breast lift with implants  and tummy tuck with minimal liposuction are done together, you have one recovery, less cost for anesthesia, and usually a discount by most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons for multiple surgeries done together. 

Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who specialize in the Mommy Makeover are normally very good at breast lifts/implants, tummy tucks, and liposuction, therefore, it is my personal preference to do these together.  I would suggest you pick a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, view his before and after pictures, speak to one or more of his Mommy Makeover patients, and then go with his or her recommendations.  

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Advantages of Mommy Makeover vs. Separate Procedures?

+1

Having the surgery performed together vs. separately is up to the patient.  Most patients choose to do the procedures at the same time due to 

1) going under anesthesia one time

2) lower cost

3) having to "recover" once - finding help for kids, etc

Most board certified plastic surgeons perform both procedures. I would suggest that you ask to see examples of their work (in regards to both tummy tuck and breast lifting surgeries) and choose a surgeon that you are comfortable with.

Again, choosing to have these procedures performed at the same time or at different times is really a personal choice.

Mommy Makeover

+1

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. I perform these procedures as part of a “mommy makeover” for patients who want an improved figure after having children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take a serious toll on a woman’s body, and many moms find that no amount of diet and exercise can restore their pre-baby figures.

Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:
Abominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction.

These procedures can be performed in one stage or multiple stages depending on the patient's goals, health status and other screening criteria. 
Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS