What Are the Added Risks of Having Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck Together?

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Together?

+1

Liposuction is a tool that is often used during tummy tuck surgery. The concern with excessive liposuction surgery done at the same time  relates to the blood flow to the abdominal wall " flap"  and the potential for problems with wound healing and/or tissue necrosis.

In my practice, judicious use of liposuction surgery during tummy tuck surgery is very helpful in improving results.

Tummy tuck and liposuction can be safely combined

+1

Liposuction should be performed carefully during a tummy tuck; and only of the flank (love handle) area. Liposuction of the upper or mid abdominal area can jeopardize the blood supply to the skin which may lead to skin necrosis and potential wound healing complications. The fatty tissue of the upper abdomen can be carefully trimmed under direct visualization with sharp dissection with no risk to the blood supply.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for more information on the risks and benefits of combining liposuction with a  tummy tuck.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Risks Combining Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

In properly selected patients the risk of adding liposuction to tummy tuck procedures should be minimal. The surgeon will evaluate the risk based upon your health and medical history, anticipated blood loss, estimated surgical time and the overall difficulty of the procedure. I myself use liposuction in most tummy tuck procedures and have found it to be safe. Overly aggressive liposuction may increase the risk of healing complications and should be avoided. Intraoperative venous compression devices help to reduce the risk of thromboembolism. If your medical condition warrants it, or your surgeon would prefer to be more conservative in his approach, the procedures can be performed in separate stages. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

The risk is same as doing tummy tuck and liposuction

+1
You have higher risk when you do combined procedure since you are doing two different procedures. The risks from combined procedure if done correctly is acceptable.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Risks Of Concurrent Liposuction & Tummy Tuck

+1

It all depends upon the area(s) being liposuctioned.  I do not think that there is a significant increase in risks of suctioning 1 or 2 areas at the time of a tummy tuck.  The one area that I will not perform any aggressive suctioning when doing TT is the upper abdomen (although some would disagree).  I routinely suction the flanks at the time of a TT (at no additional cost) if indicated.

John Whitt, MD

Additional risks with liposuction and tummy tuck together?

+1

Liposuction and tummy tuck procedures in general may be done together safely with acceptable risk in appropriate patients.  There are certain areas to stay away from when doing the liposuction part, however , to avoid wound healing difficulties.  Combining more then 1 procedure will increase anesthesia  time and  if done under general anesthesia could conceivably also increase risk of blot clots in the legs (DVT) and therefore it is important to take appropriate precautions when doing multiple procedures under general anesthesia. 

Stephen Delia, MD

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Certainly there are added risks having liposuction and a tummy tuck at the same time. In general though, they are very safe to do at the same time. However, liposuction of the elevated abdominal flap can lead to increased wound complications and because I like to elevate the flap widely and remove the most skin I can., I will often avoid liposuction of the flap at the same time.

There are increased risks of complication with liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

There are increased risks of poor healing and skin necrosis with aggressive liposuction done at the same time as a tummy tuck.  Also, the longer the procedure and the anesthesia, the increased risk of anesthestic complications.   That is why I prefer to do the two procedures at two separate sittings.  However, limited liposuction with tummy tuck has been safe.  Generally,  I would not recommend removing more than 500cc's of fat from the abdominal area at the same time as the tummy tuck, depending on the size of the patient.

James Tang, MD

Liposuction With a Tummy Tuck Can Increase Risk

+1

In my practice, i almost always perform some degree of liposuction in combination with a tummy tuck.  It is a very safe combination if done in with patient safety as a priority.  I have very specific protocols to maintain patient safety including compression stockings, leg pumps and / or a low dose of anticoagulation all in an effort to minimize the risk of blood clots.  Additionally, I do limit the amount of liposuction I perform and my anesthesia provider is extremely meticulous with monitoring fluid replacement.  Although combining two procedures such as liposuction and a tummy tuck is very common and very safe (again with patient safety as a priority), there is always aslightly higher risk of complications anytime multiple procedures are performed.  

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon