Textured Silicone Implant Vs. Smooth Silicone Implant?

What is the difference between the two? I read the smooth is a bit stronger than textured but can ripple? Also textured has less chance for capsular contracture, is this true? And the textured silicone implant is much firmer than the smooth. I am strongly considering smooth would it really make a difference if its sub-muscular? Thank you.

Textured v smooth breast implants

+3

Textured implants went through a phase of popularity in the late 80's and early 90's.  it was theorized that the rough surface would help prevent the capsule from shrinking (contracting), hence give a softer result.  Statistically this did not hold up.  Textured implants become fixed to the tissues like a velcro seal.  This causes three issues (in my opinion).  The first is that the edges of the implant are more visible so an unnatural ring can be seen surrounding the implant..  The second is that tissue attachment reveals all of the implant wall characteristics, and thus shows more wrinkling.  The third is that textured implants do not have a natural motion.  They stay fixed like you are still wearing a bra.  A normal breast will move as you change body positions, say from your back to your side.   

Web reference: https://www.maryleepetersmd.com

Textured vs smooth implants

+2

Textured were creating with the thought that they may decrease the risk of capsular formation. The literature is equivocal.  I personally do not like textured implants because I do not think they move as naturally as smooth ones.

Textured vs smoothI will

+2

Textured breast implants were developed with the idea that she were capsular contractures would occur. While some surgeons felt this was corrected later studies failed to improve any difference in contracture right when compared with smooth implants.

Ripples, both palpable and visible, or clearly more common with textured implants and because of that most surgeons have abandoned them except in unusual in the specialized circumstances.

I would choose smooth implants to her surgery. Good luck.

Smooth Vs. Textured

+2

There will probably be some different opinions here, but this is my feeling based on 28 years of experience. Smooth implants are LESS likely to ripple and break. Textured implants are slightly less likely to become firm (capsular contraction), but the difference is small and disappears if they are placed under the muscle. Tear Drop shaped implants are mostly textured so that they are less likely to rotate. So, I prefer smooth silicone implants.

I hope this helps!

Textured vs. Smooth Breast Implants

+1

You will receive different recommendations from different surgeons depending on their preferences.  I prefer to use smooth, round breast implants for my patients and have found them to be the least complication prone implants available.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons to get good advice.  Also, ask to see examples of their work.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Purpose of textured implants

+1

If you are going sub-musclar, there is no difference between the two implants.  Textured implants are designed for pre-pectoral position to decrease capsular contracture.  Sub-musclar implant placement is more effective then textured implants in preventing contracture.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs. Smooth Implants

+1

I only use smooth implants in my practice. Textured implants tend to feel firmer and are less mobile as the shell is thicker. At one time it was thought to help reduce capsular contracture but with time findings showed no reduction in contracture.

Smooth or Textured Implant

+1

In the late 70's and into the early 90's the textured implants were favored because they reduced capsular contracture. They do have a less natural feel and movement. They also have a slightly higher leak rate. With the new generation of implants, the texture seems not to be important in maintaining softness. Few surgeons favor the texture any more, most of us like the results better witht the smooth shells.