Do textured silicon implants help avoid the "rocks in socks" look with an over the muscle placement? (Photo)

I believe I may be a good candidate for sub glandular placement (5'8", 160 lbs, curvy build, 38 years old, slight sag, current breast size: scant 36C, looking for breasts that give me a killer hourglass figure but don't scream "IMPLANTS!"). Does the "velcro" quality of the textured implants help to avoid slippage down the chest wall over time?

Would not recommend for you

+2
SafariGirl:  If you don't want the look that screams "IMPLANTS" than large subglandular impants are not for you.  I rarely place implants in the subglandular pocket and only if there is excellent skin tone and soft tissue coverage present.  Based on your stated desires and photos, I think you are a better candidate for placement below the muscle as this placement typically results in a more natural look.  I would recommend smooth implants as the result is typically a bit softer feeling breast.

Good luck to you!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Rock in Socks?

+2
That "IMPLANT" look your referring to is often caused by a very large implant under a scarce soft tissue envelope. Specially somebody who starts with very small breasts (e.g. A) cup and desires a large increase in breast size (e.g. D) cup will likely get implant visibility. Along that note implants placed subglandular magnify that "IMPLANT" look. Submuscular implant placement actually hides the implant visability along the superior aspect, creates a more natural upper pole, and has a lower rate of capsular contracture. Texturing of implants does not avoid slippage. Textured implants in a subglandular pocket in some studies have reduced capsular contracture rates. However in your case I would absolutely place smooth round implants in a submuscular pocket to provide the most natural result.

Navanjun S. Grewal, MD

Textured Implants and Subglandular Placement

+1
These days, most women who undergo a breast augmentation in the US are in the dual-plane ( subpectoral position), and have a smooth walled implant.  There are higher risks when going above the muscle in the subglandular pocket.  There is a higher capsular contracture rate, chance of visible rippling, and chance of increased ptosis ( sagging).  A textured device can be beneficial in the subglandular plane to help decrease contracture rates, but can often hold onto the tissues too much, giving the appearance that there is scar tissue around the implant.  As far as a natural vs fake look, this is really determined by the size and shape of the implant, not the position of it.  The best thing to do is to go for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for breast augmentation on top of the pectoralis muscle.

+1
Texturized implants are actually more likely to show rippling. I think you do extremely well with smooth walled gel implants in a sub glandular position.

Do textured breast implants prevent capsular contraction

+1
The answer to your question and is no Contraction Can Occur with Smooth or Textured Breast Implants.  Although Textured Implants 10 to Move and Adjust Less Than Smooth Walled Breast Implants They Still Can Descend Especially after Sub-Glandular Placement.  Next

I Agree with Others That Based on Your Photographs You May Well Be Able to Have a Nice Result with Breast Implants Placed beneath the Muscle Which Ultimately Will Give You a Better Chance of Not Having the Problems That You Are Concerned about.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Rock in a sock?

+1
The short answer in my 25 year experience is "No", it does not prevent it. Having said that, to my eye, from these photos, you do appear to be a candidate for submuscular placement and looks like you could have a result similiar to what you show from JBI. An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to guide you.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Shaped silicone implants in subfascial position

+1
Dear SafariGirl,

If you are considering getting an augmentation on top of the muscle I would recommend looking into shaped silicone implant (its also textured) in a subfascial position (on top of the muscle under the cover of the muscle).  The combination of the implant in that position can potentially work well for you.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD