Are Textured Implants the Only Way to Go to Avoid Scar Tissue?

I got my first BA 2.5 yrs ago (saline) and it got hard (scar tissue) but the reason I got it redon was bc my soft one popped (one was harder than other). 6months ago I redid them with silicone implants to fix the deflated breast and to take out the scar tissue. Not only is it harder than when I had saline but its so uncomfortable! Is textured implant (I know there's no guarantees) the only way to go or is there another more promising Way? I don't want to keep throwing money away for BA

Capsular Contracture and Textured Implants

+1

Textured implants were originally designed to help with capsular contracture rate noticed in smooth implants.  However, in submuscular augmentation, there is no difference in capsular contracture rates between the two types of implants.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Capsules!

+1

Capsular contracture is very frustrating.  It can happen with either saline or silicone implants.  If your implants are subglandular, switching to a sub-pectoral pocket might help.  Alternatively, you could consider placement of Strattice in the pocket, which seems to reduce the chance of recurrent capsules.  Also, taking the implants totally out, and replacing the volume with a fat grafting technique could be used - fat has no chance of forming a capsular contracture.  

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast Implants and Capsular Contraction

+1

There are very few absolutes when dealing with capsular contraction. If you had no reason for your first such as excessive bleeding or infection then you will have an increased risk every time its operated on. If you smoke then that is a contributing factor. The most you can do is release the contracted scar, place the implants under the muscle, try textured saline implants and take prophylactic antibiotics. Also,. it never hurts to have a little luck!

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Types of breast implants to avoid capsular contractures

+1

Dear Susie,

Thank you for your inquiry and I am sorry that you had to go through all this.

As you have mentioned, there is no guarantee that there will be no recurrence of capsular contracture when textured implants are used. 

There is not a solid, direct correlation between a decrease in CC recurrence and the use of textured implants during breast augmentation surgeries.

Unfortunately, patients who develop CC tend to have a certain rate of recurrence that varies from one patient to another; placing the new implants into the same old pocket without major modifications tend to minimize the risk of CC recurrence to certain minimal degrees (again nothing is guaranteed).

It is worth mentioning at this point that textured implants tend to lead to the formation if the "rippling effect" that will require the usage of ADMs to minimize it.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Textured Implants Will Not Prevent Capsular Contracture

+1

Using textured implants will not insure that you do not develop another capsular contracture.  There is always a high rate of recurrence of CC, but it is especially high if the new implant is not moved to a different location.

John Whitt, MD

Textured implants

+1

I really like these textured implants. They look great especially with lifts and I find they are quite soft. They do ripple more and they have a higher deflation rate.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Textured Implants

+1

Some surgeons feel that there are fewer contractures when textured implants are used. The downside is that there are more ripples.

Opinions about this are changing, and there are a number of surgeons who feel that the most effective way of minimizing the chance of a recurrence of capsular contracture is to use a piece of Strattice, which is made from dermis ( a skin component) from which all the cells have been removed. The material is quite pricey, but cheaper than still another operation.

Discuss with your surgeon. Thanks and best wishes.

No guarantees

+1

As you note, any change aimed at preventing the recurrence of hard implants (capsular contracture) is not guaranteed to work. One of these measures is using textured implants,. Some doctors use medications as well. However, there are multiple theories as to what might cause contractures, and no one can be proven in a specific individual.  Best of luck in your journey.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon