Do Textured Implants 'Drop & Fluff' Differently Than Smooth Implants? (photo)

Hi, I'm 33 yrs old black woman and I'm 3 weeks post op with allergan 290 round textured implants. I initially wanted to get smooth implants, but my surgeon told me I would be better off with textured implants to reduce my chances of cc. After reading posts on this site about textured implants I'm a bit concerned. It can take up to a year to see final results but is that different for textured implants? If my implants are still high when my tissue adheres to the implants will it stay like that?

+5

Many thanks for the question and the photos. Three weeks post op this is a good result. Yes it will drop to good and expected levels in next 6 months. Your PS has done a good job .Have patience now and time will prove your surgeon that he was right. Textured implants are far superior in all possible ways than a smooth implant. Wish you all the best

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

How much time does it take to achieve final result after breast augmentation?

+2

Submuscular implants take longer since muscle has to stretch and expand to give natural sling effect to enlarged breasts.  It can take upto six months depending on patient's body frame and size of implants.  Textured or smooth it does not matter.

In long term the textured implants tend to be more fixed in their place than smooth implants. However that difference is marginal.  You are only 3 weeks since your operation.  Patience is the key. Stop worrying.

Vasdev Rai, MD

The implants should look good after time texturized were smoothed.

+2

Am unaware that the convalescence after a breast augmentation is different with texturized were smoothed implants. I think as the swelling subsides you should expect a good result.

Textured implants tend to stay in place

+2

The purpose of texturing implants is two-fold. One is to allow tissue ingrowth to the surface of the implant which some people believe that will help reduce the problem with capsular contracture. The other reason is to stop them from moving or rotating, particularly with shaped implants. Textured implants that stay high are less likely to move down than smooth implants in my experience. However, I would still give them several months as three weeks is a very short period of time for implants to settle.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs. smooth

+2

It is possible that the textured implants stick to the tissue a little sooner. However, both should drop with time. If they are still high at 6 months I would go back to your surgeon for an evaluation.

best,

Michael

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Do Textured Implants 'Drop & Fluff' Differently Than Smooth Implants?

+2

Although my opinion is not universally held, I find that when implants have not "dropped" the cause is not the the implants are too high but that the pectoral muscle contracting on the implant displaces the fluid upward, where there is much empty space under the muscle and above the chest wall.  This is true with textured and smooth implants alike, although not so with form stable implants (the newest "gummy bear" implants like Allergan style 410). 

Patience. Allow three months or so for these to settle.

All the best. 

Textured implants designed to adhere to tissue

+1

and I am hoping you are discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  From your photo, one side looks great but the other side is higher.  Your surgeon should guide you through the process and since he uses textured often, should be best able to predict your outcome.  In my hands, I prefer smooth implants as textured implants (at least with saline) did have a much higher rupture rate and smooth implants were more easily manipulated into the desired position.

Curtis Wong, MD