Textured or Smooth Cohesive Gel Breast Implants?

My surgery is 10 days away but I still can't decide what implants to prefer Smooth or Texture? I'm doing it in S.Korea so there is a little problem in communication between me and surgeon. Need a professional advise!

Textured vs smooth

+3

Most important is to know if you are getting the highly cohesive implant (gummy bear, not available in the US), if you are getting regular gel implant ( manufactures call it: cohesive) I will recommend smooth implants due to the higher incidence of rupture with textured. With the real cohesive implant you will benefit the most from the textured ( rupture of the implant its not important.

Good luck

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Implants Surface SMOOTH vs TEXTURED

+2

Textured implants were designed to decrease scar tissue formation around breast implants commonly known as Capsular Contracture.  Breast implants have a higher contracture rate if the implants are placed under the breast tissue.  In this situation you may want to consider a textured implant.  When placing an implant under the breast tissue its important to have enough soft tissue coverage otherwise visible rippling may occur.  If your implants are going under the muscle I would recommend a smooth implant.  Textured implants have a slightly higher rippling and rupture rate as compared to smooth implants. Either implant surface will provide you with a very acceptable cosmetic result.  Good Luck!!!

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs. Smooth Breast Implants

+2

The only significant difference between the two types of implants lies in the surface of the silicone envelope of the implant. Textured implants are rough to the feel, while smooth implants are smooth. Textured implants were originally touted as having a significantly lower incidence of capsule formation, however that is considered to be controversial.

Some surgeons feel that rippling of the implant may be more noticeable with smooth implants, however I have not not found this to be true.

Considering that you are doing this in Korea, I would strongly advise that you speak to or communicate with your surgeon via an interpreter that you trust. The pros and cons of the different types of implants, as well as the location of the implant placement is important to know, and should be thoroughly addressed by your surgeon.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Selecting the best implant requires good communication with your plastic surgeon

+2

There are pros and cons to each implant type, and there should be a good level of communication between you and your surgeon about what type is best for you. Smooth implants are all round, but form a natural teardrop profile in the upright position, and are the most commonly used type in the U.S. The  "gummy bear" implants are shaped and firm and they are textured so the body adheres to the surface to keep them from rotating. (They occasionally rotate out of position anyway.)  Most of the experts who have access to them believe that they will be a good choice for about 15-20% of patients, for specific reasons based on measurements and other factors. Unfortunately there is no way for you to decide based on answers here, and hopefully your surgeon will be able to advise what is best in your case.

Richard Baxter, MD

Textured versus smooth implants

+2

The differences between the two implants lies in the lining of the implants.  Smooth implants are very well tolerated with minimal risks, as the textured ones are.  However, the thought is that textured implants have less incidences of capsular contracture, or scarring, around the implants.  Although the "jury is out" either implant should be fine for you.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Textured vs Smooth Implants

+1
Smooth is generally preferred however textured has been associated with a lower rate of capsular contracture (although new research has found that this may not be the case anymore). 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Textured or smooth breast implants?

+1
Both cohesive gel products are excellent. Generally speaking smooth walled cohesive gel breast implants feel softer, are easier to put into the breast and adjust more easily to your breast shape. By far the majority of women in my practice choose smooth walled implants.

I reserve textured breast implants for patients who have had a previous capsular contracture.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Smooth versus textured cohesive gel breast implants

+1

IF you implants are round cohesive, I would recommend smooth. If they are anatomic cohesive, I would advise textured to maintain the proper upper pole positioning and minimize rotation in the pocket.

Textured vs smooth walled implants

+1

I am not a big fan of textured implants because I do not think that the breasts move as naturally as smooth implants when in the pocket. Textured may also cause more scalloping.