Can a Zirconia Crown Be Stained After Being Cemented in Mouth?

I was not offered a color selection. The Zirconia Crown is too white in comparison to the surrounding molars. The crown was placed on Tooth 18. Also, the Zirconia crown is rough and was not filed smooth on the chewing surface. What can I do about this also? Thanks in advance.

Shade and Roughness

+1

You cannot reshade a crown once it has been placed in the mouth.  The good news is that it is the furthest tooth in the back of your mouth and no one but you or your dentist will see it.  As for the roughness, it can be smoothed after it has been cemented.  If it bothers you that much, you should have it replaced with one that matches the color of your neighboring teeth.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Staining a Zirconia Crown in Mouth

+1

No, a crown cannot be stained once it is cemented in mouth. As far as the rough surface, it CAN be polished smoother in the mouth.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Rough fitting Zirconia Crown

+1

Nothing can be done once it is installed in the mouth.  Zirconia is not that esthetic even with staining.  I would suggest you remove it and replace it with an all-porcelain emax crown (Dilithium silicate) It is not as strong as Zirconia in tests, but I have placed thousands and they don't break.  I don't see a need for Zirconia crowns.  The emax, if well done look fantastic and can match perfectly in most situations

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Can crown be stained aftern inserted ?

+1

Yes it can but in most cases this external stain will not last and will were away... Good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist