When I Laugh my Upper Gum Show Which I Don't Like. Can I Get Any Treatment in Botox to Numb my Upper Lip Muscles?

Botox is a Successful, Quick Treatment for Gummy Smile

+3

Dear Writer, A simple Botox injection of approximately only 4 units may reduce your gummy smile, significantly. The Botox is injected to the muscles that typically raise the upper lip (sometimes excessively) as we smile. As a result of the treatment, your upper lip will not raise as much, giving you a softer, pleasant smile, without showing your gums.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy Smile:Botox and Juvederm

+2

The Levator labii superioris muscle is palpated as the patient elevates their lip on each side of the face. It is a finger width lateral to the nose. 4 Units of Botox into each side and 1/2 cc of Juvederm into the body of the upper lip will give you a superb aesthetic result for at least 6 months.

i

Arnold W. Klein, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

When I Laugh my Upper Gum Show Which I Don't Like

+2

Injecting a small amount of Botox to the upper lip would give you a beautful, natural result. Typically this will last 3-4 months, you can have your next treatment a few months after to maintain your lip lift 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Botox Treatment for "Gummy Smile"

+2

Yes, I often inject Botox Cosmetic adjacent to the nose to slightly lower the upper lip and reduce a “gummy smile.”  The full effect of Botox Cosmetic is usually seen in 2 weeks and typically lasts 4 months.  Since this not one of the “common” Botox injection areas (such as the Forehead, Crowsfeet, and Glabella) it is important to find a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist that has the appropriate training and education to get you your desired result.  Good Luck!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the "gummy smile."

+2

Botox injection is a wonderful treatment for people who show too much upper gum when smiling. A small amount of Botox is injected on either side of the nose into a muscle that elevates the upper lip when a person smiles. In about a week, once the Botox effects are evident, the lip does not pull up when smiling. This procedure takes just a few units of Botox, so most physicians would just charge by the unit for a treatment (well below the  high prices for cosmetic use!) The results may last 4-6 months. I describe the procedure in my book:  Cosmetic Injection Techniques-available on Amazon.com.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of a gummy smile (upper gum show) with botox

+2

Yes, a small amount of botox delivered to the right muscles can help decrease the gummy smile. I would see someone that understands the anatomy of the skin such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to make sure you are treated appropriately. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Gummy Smile

+2

Botox may work.  As mentioned, 2 to 4 units may result in the upper lip muscle not pulling up on the lip during a smile.  It is certainly worth a try since the cost is relatively low and the risks are small and temporary.  However, it may not work.  It depends on the shape of your upper jaw and teeth and the strength and angles of your facial muscles.  Other solutions are more drastic and permanent, but if it really bothers you, a visit to a dentist, oral surgeon, or orthodontist may be of value should the Botox not suffice.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Can Improve a Gummy Smile

+2

Botox is very effective at improving a gummy smile.  Not all gummy smiles are the same.  Some people have a gummy smile near the nose and some are more gummy towards the corners of their mouths.  Botox can be injected to significantly improve a gummy smile.  Depending on the type of gummy smile, I use about 10 different combinations of dosage and locations that I inject for a gummy smile.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile can be helped with Botox with 2 small injections

+2

The muscle that needs to be weakened is the Levator labii superioris alaeque nasi muscle.  About 2 units on either side of the lateral nose can help a gummy smile.  I warn you that your smile is definitely different which some people don't like.  Steve Weiner, MD, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

+2

You can apply 2-4 units of Botox or Xeomin to help relax the upper lip. Seek a certified physician for further evaluation who can provide the results you wish to achieve