Is this a seroma? It's been 10 weeks since Liposuction. (photo)

I had lipo on June 12 2014 and still have 2 pockets of fluid that goes over to my sides when I take garment off. Can this be a seroma?

Seroma after liposuction.

+2
Thank you for your pictures. It's hard to make out exactly what you're trying to show your pictures. If you think you have a seroma then you need evaluated by your plastic surgeon. Management really require placement of drains.

Sometimes difficult to distinguish seroma from swelling.

+2
Seromas are very uncommon after liposuction. More than likely this is swelling but this is something that your own plastic surgeon can sort out for you.

Is this a seroma?

+2
Thank you for your question.  From a photo it is impossible to determine if you have a seroma or if it is swelling or residual fat.  If you push in on the area and it feels like there is fluid sloshing around then it is quite likely a seroma.  At ten weeks there will still be some degree of swelling after a liposuction procedure as well.  If you are concerned then you should see your surgeon and have it evaluated since a seroma would need to be drained.

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

Seroma 10 weeks after liposuction

+1
The photo and your description suggest that you have a seroma but an exam is necessary to be sure.
Seromas usually need to be treated, starting with frequent removal of the fluid.
Return to your plastic surgeon to discuss this problem, determine the cause and set up a treatment plan,if one is needed. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Is this a seroma? It's been 10 weeks since Liposuction.

+1
At 10 weeks post op very hard to believe that is fluid or seroma. I believe it is residual fat that was NOT removed... 

Fluid after liposuction

+1
I think that you have to be seen in person. It could represent swelling or a seroma. An exam would be very helpful. Follow with your surgeon.

Seroma After Liposuction

+1
Seromas can occur after liposuction, and in my experience, the most common area where seromas may occur is the flanks (that area directly down from the armpit but above the hip bone). 

Seromas rarely occur in liposuction because, in general, liposuction rarely injures the fibrous bands connecting the skin to the muscle.  However, in this flank area, liposuction is often done from both the back and the front at times leading to fibrous band injury, and therefore leaving a space that injury fluid can flow into. 

Your picture could have multiple diagnoses, but since you state there are 2 pockets of fluid, then by definition, these are seromas.  At this point, you should seek a consultation with your Board Certified plastic surgeon as these seromas are easily cured, and each plastic surgeon has his or her own technique for eliminating post liposuction seromas.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon