I've Scheduled a Breast Reduction and Lipo of Flanks and Abdomen. Is It Safe to Have Multiple Procedures Performed at One Time?

I am female. 43 years old. 5'3 155 lbs. 34 DDD. 32 inch waist, 41 inch hips. Active. Non-smoker. No medications. No children.

Is It Safe to Have Multiple Procedures Performed at One Time?

+2

It is quite common to do multiple cosmetic procedures at one sitting and does not unduly elevate the risk as long as the total length of o the procedure is not over 5-6 hours and as long as your body habitus (BMI) and basc medical status are nomal. Wit what you have liste abouve it looks like you hold do fine.

Breast Reduction and liposuction

+2

It is very common to have multiple procedures done at one time, with advances in plastic surgery techniques and anesthesia it is quite safe. As long as you are healthy and have chosen a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and a Board Certified anesthesiologist you should not have any problem. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Multiple procedures

+2

It is very common for plastic surgeons to perform your procedures all in one setting.  Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status.

Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Having Multiple Procedures at the same is routine.

+2

Multiple procedures are pretty much the norm these days.  Makeover for Moms is the result of that trend.  As long as you are healthy and have the surgery at an accredited center with a board certified anethesiologist or anesthetist, you should be fine, although you may want to consider getting an overnight stay in the hospital.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Multiple plastic surgery procedures during the same anesthetic

+2

Thank you for your question.  I will frequently perform multiple elective procedures during the same anesthetic on a healthy patient.  When I determine how many procedures can be done at once I most importantly consider the overall duration of the surgery.  The longer the procedure the greater the chance of complications so a balance must be struck between doing as much as needed yet not operating so long that the risks outweigh the benefits.  Best of luck,  Christopher Davidson, M.D.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

+2

Procedures are commonly combined.  Whether a particular combination is 'safe' depends on a variety of factors, including the nature of the procedure and the estimated length of the entire anesthetic as well as your overall health status.

In general, it is my preference to keep combined procedures less than 5-6 hrs in duration and to have a low threshold for overnight observation after the procedure.  Ultimately, your surgeon should be able to determine whether the proposed intervention is reasonable.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

+2

The procedure that you describe is safe to do all at one time considering that your healthy to begin with. Sometime when surgery time get's long (based on length of procedure and which procedures are being combined) is when the concern comes in because of blood clotting associated with immobility. If you have any concerns about that you should consult with your surgeon. 

Frederick Lester, MD

Multiple Procedures at One Time

+1

Dear Isbell,

Much of this depends on the skill of the surgeon, but certainly the health of the patient is paramount. Most surgeons would agree that outpatient ambulatory surgery center cases should not exceed five to six hours. Longer cases such as these, also, should involve extended recovery room monitoring or even overnight stay. This is not a hard and fast rule but is widely observed.

Our time for breast reduction surgery is usually two and a half hours with the liposuction that you described as being roughly an hour, and so looking at your body habitus it should certainly be safe for you, but please know that the speed of surgery varies widely among surgeons. How quickly or how slowly one operates likewise is not necessarily a predictor of the quality of the surgeon. It is not unusual for some surgeons to take five hours simply for the breast reduction portion, and so it is worth asking your surgeon how long he or she thinks the case would last.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, M.D.

Robert D. Wilcox MD