Rash from Muscle Repair, is It Possible? (photo)

I had a full TT on December 1, 2012, I've had no problems with my recovery. I still feel pain around the belly button when I move a certain way, this is the same area in which I have developed a weird rash. It's been more than 2 mths, and it won't clear up, could it be caused by the sutures used for the muscle repair?

Scar after Tummy Tuck

+1

This rashes look like hypertrophic scar with some dermatitis. It would be a good visit a dermatologist. 

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rashes after tummy tucks

+1

Rashes would have to result from materials used in surgery, contact, or disorders such as psorasis or eczema and it is not from the procedure itself.  If the rash doesn't clear, consider seeing a dermatologist for a diagnosis.

Curtis Wong, MD

Mild inflammation can be seen with certain sutures

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Inflammatory reaction to suture can be seen .  Braided permanent sutures are more likely to cause this and I have seen several cases where this occurred.  It's a hard diagnosis to make this early on but as time passes and if no improvement is seen it should be suspected.   All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rash several months after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry.  I think anything is possible in terms of suture and reactions-but it has been quite a while. I would see your primary care doctor to evaluate.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Peri-umbilical rash unlikely to be due to abdominoplasty surgery

+1

The rash that you have developed is unlikey to be due to your surgery.  It is more likely some form of contact dermatitis.  If it does not clear with over the counter hydrocortisone 1% you may want to consider seeing a dermatologist. 

Rash from Muscle Repair with Tummy Tuck Surgery: is It Possible?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. In my opinion, the rash that you have developed is unlikely to be related to the sutures used for muscle plication. Possibly a fungal infection but best to be seen by  a dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment.