Can I Get Nice, Full Breasts Without a Lift and Not Look Too Saggy?

I'm 34 with 2 kids and done having them. Breastfed both for a few months each. Anyway around getting a BA without the lift? I just don't want to go under twice as my doctor won't do both procedures at the same time and I totally understand why. I want nice, full breast- maybe full D but don't know if they will look very saggy without a lift. I'm currently 5'4 120 pounds and 34B.

Based on your photos I would recommend silicone gel implants under the muscle. The so-called dual-plane approach allows good results even when there is mild droop. Seek out an experienced aesthetic breast surgeon. All the best.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

My first advice would be to get a second opinion at an in-person consultation. There is some controversy in the academic world about doing a lift and augmentation at the same time, but most experienced cosmetic breast surgeons do both procedures at the same time on a routine basis if you are healthy and don't smoke. So don't automatically assume it's not possible based on what one person told you. 

Regarding your breasts, you can certainly go up a couple cup sizes and not have a lift, and still have a natural breast, but you really need to sit down with your surgeon beforehand and tell him/her what kind of 'look' you want. What you consider 'nice' and 'full' might be what someone else considers 'fake' so going through before-and-after photos will make sure you are both on the same page from the get go. Another option for you to consider would be shaped implants. While a round implant doesn't improve the position of the nipple much, a shaped one might give you the added lift you want without an added scar. 

Hope that helps!

Lift with implants alone

While your breasts are moderately sagging you may be able to get away with implants alone. The best breast implants to use should have a more cohesive texture, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2. These implants are slightly firmer but still feel natural. Also, choose something with a more narrow base width to increase projection.

You may not need a breast lift, however to determine this you would need a consultation with a surgeon who has experience with performing breast augmentation on breasts affected by mild to moderate sagging. Best of luck!

Breast Enhancement Surgery

If you choose a large implant 375-425 I think you would not need a lift but it may not look as natural as you think it as going to be

Breast Augmentation Without Lift Possible

Thank you for asubmitting your question and photographs. From your photographs it appears that your nipple and areola is above your inframammary crease, but an examination will be necessary to document that for certain.

If the nipple areola is above the inframammary crease you do not have nipple ptosis, but your breast gland is below the crease which is called glandular ptosis.

Breast augmentation without a lift is certainly possible and if your surgeon is able to do a biplanar breast augmentation and place the implant under the muscle without the implant pushing the nipple downward, you should have a good result without a lift.

Be certain to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, who is very experienced in cosmetic breast surgery, and has a good reputation in your local community. If possible the surgeon should be able to show you photographs of results of cases that he or she has done who have similar breast shape and nipple position to you.

Trade offs

You can have implants alone, placed under they scale or above, with or without a lift, but as you suspect, the less you do, the greater the trade off. No lift means you have to have the implants lower on your chest (some might call that saggy) to position the nipple over the implant. A small periareolar lift would reposition the 

Marguerite E. Aitken, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Hi EmilyMarie,

From the pictures, it looks like you can get a good result with breast augmentation only. Your left breast nipple and areolar are slightly lower than the right, so be ready for a little asymmetry. The possibility of a limited mastopexy (periareolar lift) on the left side should be discussed with your surgeon.

Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Slight ptosis can be corrected with larger implants.

Being that you are going from a B to a D sized cup is to your benefit considering the way your breast is sitting.  Your left breast is fuller and sits lower than your right breast.  However, considering you wish to have a large implant, I would place the implant in the sub glandular position, taking up skin laxity.  You may be indicated however, to have a breast lift in the future, due to the weight of the implant and the positioning of the left breast.  For now though, a breast augmentation is reasonable.

Modest ptosis can be camouflaged with breast augmentation.

I think you will get a nice result from breast augmentation only. I would suggest silicone gel implants in a sub glandular placement.

"Full" breasts without a lift

Breast implants are pillows behind the breast and do not actually lift the breast and larger ones do not lift it further. Implants can give the illusion of a lift because they fill out the lower pole of the breast as well as fill in the upper pole. Whether a lift is required in order to get the implant positioned properly behind the breast is best determined in person and has to do with where the nipple-areola sits in relation to the inframammary crease behind it. 

The maximum size increase with a normal width breast and a properly fitted and positioned high profile implant is two cup sizes. You cannot just pick a breast size any more than you can just choose a shoe size or dress size. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon