What Helps with Swelling? Anything I Can Drink or Do?

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Swelling after a tummy tuck is normal.  It takes 6-8 weeks to have the swelling resolve.  Swelling can improve faster for patients who are more compliant with compression garments and are a little less active.  So don't worry, swelling is a normal process of healing after any surgery.   Continue with your compression garments as recommended by your PS.  I'm sure you'll love your results once you are all healed up.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

The answer depends on how long it has been surgery.  Immediately after surgery and for up to the first 6 weeks, it is really important to wear a compression garment to help keep swelling down.  During the surgery, a lot of the drainage channels for your body have been disrupted.  It takes time for these to grow back.  Some people do benefit from lymphatic massage as well as that helps promote drainage of the fluid that builds up in swelling.  Unfortunately, some people tend to stay swollen longer than others.  There is not a specific drink that will make you less swollen.  You should try to stay away from salty products to keep swelling down.  Hope that helps!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS