Help - Juvederm Under Eyes? (photo)

I had juvederm placed under my eyes on Dec. 20th. One eye looks fantastic! The other is very swollen. I don't necessarily feel any lumps though, so I am not sure if it is the product? It's swollen right under the eye, not where the product was placed. It is worse in the morning, photos are attached. Should I get it dissolved?

Juvederm Under the eyes

+3
A number of 'soft tissue fillers' are available for temporarily improving facial areas that have lost volume, are naturally thin or hollow, or have developed noticeable and bothersome lines and creases. The most popular fillers currently are hyaluronic acid products like Juvederm® and Restylane® which can be used to, among other things, plump up thin lips and to fill out nasolabial folds (lines that run from beside the nostrils to the area beside the corners of the mouth) and marionette lines (lines that run from the corners of the mouth towards the jawline). In this practice we have performed thousands of injections with these safe and reliable hyaluronic acid fillers. They are well-tolerated by almost all patients and they produce very few post-injection problems. The improvement generally lasts from four to eight months, the average being about five to six months. Of the available hyaluronic acid soft tissue fillers, I have been most pleased with the performance of Juvederm®.
Other injectable fillers are currently available which attempt to produce a longer-lasting soft tissue augmentation by incorporating substances that are more slowly metabolized or that cannot be metabolized by the body. These are sometimes referred to as 'semi-permanent' fillers. Some incorporate non-degradable biologic materials (e.g. Radiesse®, which contains calcium hydroxyapatite, the mineral component of bone) or non-biologic (synthetic) materials (e.g. ArteFill®, which contains polymethyl methacrylate, also known as Lucite) that are designed to persist in the body permanently. Another is Sculptra®, which consists of a synthetic polymer called poly-L-lactic acid, which is also used as an absorbable suture material.
Unfortunately, the body treats these materials as foreign objects, and as a result the placement of non-degradable and synthetic materials may lead to inflammation, infection, migration and granuloma (an inflammatory cyst) formation - none of which are problems that you want to experience near the skin surface in your face. In general, the 'semi-permanent' injectables containing these materials are less likely to produce a result that looks and feels natural, and because of the potential complications I feel that they should never ever be injected anywhere close to the skin surface. We do not use any of these injectables in my practice.
If you are looking for a longer-lasting result than you are getting with Juvederm® or Restylane®, we have a much better solution for you: your own fat, currently residing somewhere that you don't need it. The improvement is designed to be permanent, and your body will not treat it as a foreign object. Your immune system won't attack it. The cost is about the same as several syringes of a 'semi-permanent' filler. And the quality of your facial skin may, in fact, actually improve in the areas where fat is grafted.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Under the Eyes

+2

As Dr. Persky stated, many of us who use fillers under the eyes tend to use Restylane, because it has a lower side effect profile than Juvederm in this area.  Juvederm is a wonderful filler in the perioral area.  That having been said, hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers under the eyes are an available, albeit sometimes disappointing answer to periocular aging. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Help with Juvederm under eyes!

+2

I agree with Dr Rueckl, and the other physicians.  There are many reasons for uneven swelling after injections. Be patient and allow a bit more time before considering Vitrase to remove it, as you will certainly be uneven if you do not have it replaced.  In the future Restylane or Belotero might be better options for the under eye area as they are softer and lay better under thin skin

Sam Naficy, MD

Help - Juvederm Under Eyes?

+2

Massage, massage and more massage to area. If after 1 month still not happy than think about dissolving injections 

Help - Juvederm Under Eyes?

+2

No, it's a bit soon to consider having the Juvederm removed.  HA's, like Juvederm and Restylane draw ater to the area and one side may not appear the same as the other for several weeks.  If after that time, the one lower lid area is still swollen, go back and see the MD that did the Juvederm injections for suggestions and possible treatment.

Swelling after Juvederm under eyes

+2

Swelling under the eyes from Juvederm is common. HA products like Juvederm draw water to them initially after injection, and this can be worse in one area rather than another. For instance, if you sleep on your left side, your left eye can be more swollen than the right side, due to gravity, and thus, it's worse in the morning. If it's just swelling it will resolve within a few weeks. If one side is actually more overfilled than the other, some can be removed with hyaluronidase.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swelling after juvederm

+2

Swelling after juvederm injection by the eye is common. It may take longer to settle in one eye more than the other. You may want to give it some more time.

Hyaluronidase Can Help Break Down Juvederm

+1
I recommend that it is worth having your doctor try to break down the product with hyaluronidase. If it is still present, then this will help to break it down.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm Swelling Under Eyes

+1

If the swelling after Juvederm placed under the eyes persists beyond 2 weeks dissolve the rest with Hyaluronidase and try Restylane in a few months.

Juvederm under eyes

+1

I agree with the panel - Juvederm is probably the best filler in the lower half of the face, but Restylane is superior under the eye - less swelling and/or delayed "bogginess"

Your best bet is to have the baggy side dissolved if it persists at 2 weeks, and replaced with Restylane. I have found Restylane to be wonderful in the tear trough.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon