Hair Transplants for Hairline Lowering? (photo)

What is better for me, surgery or transplants? Pros and cons of a transplant? I have curly hair, am I a good candidate? How long before they are "bang's/fringe" length? I am trying to ask as many questions as I can before making an appointment. Thank you

FUE Hair Transplant to Improve Hairline

+1

For maximum aesthetic outcome and minimal scarring, I recommend you look into FUE (follicular unit extraction) hair transplant. Your hair does not appear to be so curly that it would make you a poor hair transplant candidate; however, candidacy would need to be assessed in person, with additional tests to determine the cause of your hair loss. For a case like yours, donor hair would likely be taken from the rear scalp/nape of the neck. Post-transplant, this hair would continue to grow at the same rate as the rest of your scalp hair. All hair transplant results take about 4 months to yield new growth, so you might reach bang length at about 10 months to a year post-op. Best of luck!

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hairline Advancement vs. Hair Transplant

+1

From an aesthetic perspective, I can see how a lower forehead will help
provide a more balanced aesthetic look to your face.  The key determining factor as to whether the surgical hairline advancement or a transplant is indicated is the laxity of your scalp-  how far your frontal hairline can be pushed forwards with a finger pushing down on it.  The results of the surgical hairline advancement is a wonderful procedure, delivering quite impressive results.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

A non-surgical treatment to thicken existing hair, prevent further loss, and also increases follicle survival in a transplant

+1

As a board certified facial surgeon and a hair restoration specialist, I can tell you that female pattern hair loss tends to be a defused type of hair loss as compared to male pattern hairline which is more of a receding hairline or the crown gets larger.

There are some factors that are choking the life out of hair follicles. In men, dihydrotestosterone destroys hair follicles. However, in women, it’s an unknown cause but there is some inflammation basis for that loss. Based on recent studies, stem cells or progenitor cells that protect the hair follicles stop working. Unfortunately, unlike men who have option of taking Finasteride and oral drugs that blocks dihydrotestosterone (DHT), there is no equivalent for women.

In my practice, as a normal part of non-surgical treatment of hair loss, I do an injection of a material called extracellular matrix from the company ACell combined with platelet-rich plasma which I call Hair Regeneration. Platelet-rich plasma is drawn from your own blood and it contains the active growth factors that are also part of the healing process. The Hair Regeneration injection triggers the body’s adult stem cells or the progenitor cells. These cells protect the hair follicles from DHT and the factors that cause female pattern hair loss. In addition the Hair Regeneration injection not only re-grows hair that is thinning but it also stops and prevents the progression of this hair loss process.

Hair transplantation to lower your hairline must be done in a conservative approach. This is because there is a great possibility of seeing visible scars after the surgery. My usual approach for hair transplantation is that I try to pack the hair as close as possible to have a proper blood supply to the area. This makes the hair transplant look more natural and it blends with the hairline while it is healing. In addition, I also use the Hair Regeneration injection to increase the survivability of the transplanted hairs so that they aren’t susceptible to factors that affect female pattern hair loss.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hairline lowering--transplants or surgery

+1

We invented the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline  Lowering procedure 35 years ago.  This is much less expensive, immediate and more natural than grafts.  We have done more than a thousand of these and find patients are much happier with this than grafts which we do as well. 

Hairline lowering versus grafts

+1

I am a bit prejudiced towards a surgical hairline lowering procedure for your condition as it is one of the major things I do. Your bangs, if you already have them, will be about an inch lower the day after surgery. The result is essentially immediate.

Hair transplants are also a surgical procedure and it might take as many as 3000 grafts to lower the hairline 2.5 cm. The transplants take about 9 months before they are long enough to contribute to your hairstyle. The density of the hair after  hairline lowering procedure is greater than what can be acheived with grafts. The cost per hair moved is usually considerably less with the hairline lowering operation.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon