Flatness of Scar After TT? (photo)

I'm 9 days out from my TT. A few areas of my scar are worrying me. I have called ps and supposedly it all sounds normal and they don't want to see me till my next appt. how much puckering of the scar is normal? I have so many areas that are bulges of skin protruding out of "line" is that also normal? How do they ever lay flat when poking out of the scar this way?

Tummy Tuck Scar Concerns

+1
  • Your concerns are understandable, but 9 days out from a tummy tuck is a very short time as far as healing is concerned. 
  • Over the course of the next few months you will find that the scar will continue to mature and its appearance will improve dramatically. 
  • Definitely do share your concerns with your plastic surgeon as he/she will be able to help reassure you that this is part of the normal healing process. 
  • Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing your photos!

TT Scar Look Normal?

+1

It's very common to experience puckering and pleating at your incision site from your TT.  It should flatten out over time, 9 days is too soon to worry.  If you need to have an incision revision or develop dog ears, you can usually do so in the office under local anesthesia at no charge (in my practice). ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Flatness of scar after TT

+1

Some pleating is quite normal at this stage. Swelling also makes this more prominent. Most of this will settle with scar maturation.

Jake Lim, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Flatness of Scar After TT

+1

As the skin is about to be closed, the lower part of the open area is a mostly flat line, the upper part approximately a semi-circle. The upper skin is considerable longer than the lower, and the pleats, or gathers are pretty much always present in  a TT. Were this cloth, it would obviously be permanent. However skin remodels,and these pretty much always wind up even. It may take 3 to 6 months. 

All the best 

Pleating after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for question, you have some pleating of your incision that usually flattens over several months.  Continue to see your plastic surgeon regularly.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Most scars pucker at first

+1

Your description and the photo all look very normal.  The suckering and irregularity of the scar can take several months to smooth out but usually they all flatten out over time.  Give it time.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Skin Puckering after Tummy tuck

+1

This is totally normal!  Your skin puckers at first and looks worse in areas of stretch marks because the skin is so thin and the swelling shows up there the most.  But believe it or not, this will all smooth out pretty quickly.  Anything that is not TOTALLY smooth at 3 months, can be excised and then it will lay smoothly.  This is usually not necessary.  It looks like you are progressing at the right speed - I know it is hard to be patient but scars take awhile to get where they are going (they usually look the worse at 3 months) - focus on your nice flat abs while you wait!  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scar puckering after tummy tuck

+1

Hi - thanks for posting your photos. Your scars do appear in the range of normal for 9 days out, albeit maybe a little irritated in the red areas. You will be surprised how much of the puckering and overhanging resolve in the first few weeks. Also, a lot of this runching is caused by the sutures under the skin, most of which are usually dissolvable. The disappearance of these sutures in the first few weeks or couple of months helps with the puckering quite a bit. Be patient - your contour looks very good so far, so just give your body some time to heal. After 6 months or so, if there is still unevenness, this can be addressed fairly easily, and most of the time without you having to undergo anesthesia again. 

Tracy Kadkhodayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Flatness of Scar After TT? (photo)

+1

Its normal for the scar to be puckered. Since the tissue swelling is maximum now it looks exaggerated. It will settle down and will not be noticable.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon