What Can I Do to Fix my Profile? (photo)

I'm very unhappy with my profile and have a 5mm overbite. I've done research on chin augmentation and would like to know if an implant or genioplasty be more suitable?

Chin Augmentation

+2

Dear Lala,

If you do not have any dental problems requiring surgical intervention then a chin augmentation would be extremely beneficial with minimal downtime and dramatic aesthetic improvements to your facial features. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Improve profile

+2

Ask you dentist if your bite needs surgical correction. Otherwise a chin implant is a simple and reversible solution to your profile problem. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing your profile...

+1

A chin implant can make a dramatic difference to your profile.  It`s a fairly quick procedure with little down time. Depending on the patients preference, the surgery can be done under local or general anesthesia.  Swelling lasts about one week and you may resume more strenuous activities in two weeks following the procedure as long as your surgeon agrees.  To determine what needs to be done exactly, be sure to consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon when scheduling surgery.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation is amazing for the facial profile!

+1

If you have an overbite, you first must decide with your Dentist if you are going to repair it and if it requires cutting the jawbone.  Once you've made that critical decision, the great news is your profile will be very satisfying!

Having a chin implant procedure is very straight forward and has minimal downtime.  If you aren't sure about surgery you can also try a non-surgical chin augmentation first to see how your face looks with some chin augmentation.  You're going to be very excited.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Best to be seen in person to examine and measure your facial proportions. Even a facial scan is a good idea. Than it can be determined exactly the procedures you need. 

Chin Implant vs Sliding Genioplasty For Profile Improvement

+1

While both an implant or a sliding genioplasty would provide an improvement, the fact that you have a skeletal deficiency and are young are important deciding factors. These two issues would favor a sliding genioplasty as a permanent profile enhancement that once done would never pose a future problem or concern. It may also do a better job of moving the soft tissues in the neck forward (muscle attachments to the chin) which an implant can not do.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

What Can I Do To Improve My Profile?

+1

I believe an extended chin implant, such as the chin-jowl by Harry Mittelman, M.D., placed through an intraoral incision will give you significant improvement at minimal cost and minimal down time.  Some surgeons will recommend a mandibular advancement surgery, but I believe this is not necessary to get just a cosmetic improvement.  I also feel a genioplasty is, again, more surgery than you need to accomplish the mandibular portion of a profileplasty. 

Although you have an attractive nose, I believe you should consider a simple tip graft as described by George Peck, M.D.  This tip graft will give the illusion of shortening your nose which will bring it into more harmony with your new augmented chin.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Improving profile/ profiloplasty

+1

From the posted photographs and having considerable over bite, it appears that you have srong upper jaw and a weak lower jaw( underdeveloped mandible ) . A mandibular advancement surgery , not only will correct your bite, it definitely will improve your profile. In order to get stronger chin and bringing more balance to your profile a chin implant could be seriously considerd. It is a good idea to stage these two operations rather than doing them in the same time.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon