Will I Have to Have a Drain?

I am having a Lippmann removed from my lower right side of my back. About a inch and a half away from my spine. The lipoma is 2.5 cm..and is painful.. will I have a drain put in?

Drain

+1

Depending on the size of the cavity, especially in the back, drains are sometimes necessary. That is the choice the surgeon will have to make

Lipoma Removal

+1

The use of a drain will depend upon your surgeon and his/her general practices. Typically I have not used drains during removal and have not found it necessary. Closing up the third space helps alleviate the fluid build up and making a drain less necessary. I would speak with your surgeon and they will give you a direct answer related specific to your diagnosis and scheduled surgical procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD