What Are All the Specific Costs for Breast Reduction Surgery?

I am in the process of insurance approval but I don't think that I will get approved. I didn't have a lot of information for the insurance company. I'm 23, 5'0" and 118lbs. I'm a size 34G. I still want to get the surgery with or without the insurance, but I was wondering what all do you have to pay for separately?

Breast reduction costs

+2

if your insurance company will not cover the cost ( more and more the case nowadays ), you can control the costs by having it done in s surgeon's surgicenter.  Expect the costs, including a facility fee and anesthesiologist to run $8000 to $9000.  Also, you will get a bill for the pathologist because the tissue removed must be examined to check for cancer, although the risk,is quite low.  This will be another few hundred dollars.  good luck!

Costs For Breast Reduction

+2

If you are having back/neck pain, most insurance policies would cover your reduction (unless your policy has an outright exclusion).  The costs vary a good deal, but your cost in TX should be similar to here in Louisville where the costs are much less than either coast.  In addition to the surgeon's fee, there are also costs for the facility and anesthesiologist.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction and Specific Costs?

+2

The costs associated with breast reduction surgery typically break down into  surgeon's fee,  surgery center or hospital fee (facility fee), anesthesiology fee, and pathology fee.

You will find that the total cost of  breast reduction surgery will vary from one practioner to another. So for more precise  information, you will need to contact specific plastic surgeons' offices.

Make sure you consult with board-certified plastic surgeons and ask to see lots of examples of their work.

Breast Reduction Cost Breakdown

+1
Breast Reduction Cost Breakdown

Breast Reduction Cost depends on many factors such as time needed to correct problem, whether it is done under general anesthesia, the technique used (for example just liposuction, crescent or donut lift, lollipop technique, or anchor pattern), how long the surgeon takes to do the surgery and if the surgery is done in the office, out patient surgery center or in a hospital.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

+1

Every insurance plan has there own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction.  More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit.  If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage.  Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight).  Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes.   The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option.   Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Paying for a breast reduction

+1

Thank you for the question.  If you are going to proceed with paying for your breast reduction yourself you will see several costs on your estimate including surgeons fee, anesthesia fee, facility (OR) fee, and pathology fee for examining the breast tissue if you and your plastic surgeon decide to send it to pathology.  The total cost will vary from surgeon to surgeon and from one area of the country to another but expect a range of 6-10 thousand.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

You'll be responsible for hospital charges, anesthesia, surgeons fee, lab work

+1

I review cases for insurance companies on a number of plastic surgery procedures. Most of the insurance plans require that the patient be within 20% of their ideal weight (as decided by the insurance company), have a documented one year history of neck and shoulder pain (visits to chiropractor or orthopedic surgeon), and documentation by the plastic surgeon to remove at least 500 g (about 1 pound) from each breast. Many patients have high deductibles and co-pays, so I would also look into paying cash for the procedure, especially if it is being performed at a center that offers a discounted fee for cash paying cosmetic surgery patients

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Cost of Breast Reduction

+1

Breast reduction may be covered by insurance if you meet certain critera, specified by your insurance coverage.  Often times, insurance company will need documentation of back pain, shoulder pain, photos, your height and weight, size of your breasts and proposed weight of breast tissue that would be removed.  If you do not meet the criteria set by your insurance coverage, you will need to undergo breast reduction by self-pay.  Your self-pay breast reduction cost will differ depending on your surgeon's fee, facility fee, and anesthesia fee.  There is a geographic difference as well.  It will vary from $8000-$10,000.  Please visit with board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss the overall cost as well as potential risks, alternatives, and benefits.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Cost of breast reduction

+1
Based on height, weight and bra size, you will meet the basic criteria for coverage. However, if you have not had conservative management, then this can be a basis for denial. Your plastic surgeon should be knowledgeable about the insurance criteria. Your choice, if denied now, is to either pay for the procedure out of pocket (in NY, that would be $10,000 for the surgical fee, anesthesia and facility fee plus the costs of pretesting and postop pain medication) or to see an orthopedist or neurologist and begin a pain management program.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Costs fro breast reduction

+1

Based on your height and weight and bra size most insurance companies will cover the cost of breast reduction.  the best way to make this happen is to 1) have reasonable insurance that doesn't have a "carve out" for this procedure; and 2) work with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience.  In our office we have a 95% success rate getting coverage for our patients.  This sometimes involves appeals and "peer to peer" reviews with medical directors.

Daniel Greenwald, MD