20 Days After Rhinoplasty and I Have a Small Dorsal Hump Which Feels Hard?

i had rhinoplasty on december 3 which involved an external approach. i had a dorsal hump and was greatly reduced in size but i was left with a small hump. when i touch the hump it feels hard and i have no pain. there is still swelling on the sides of the nose where they got broken in order to create a new bridge. can this be swelling or since it feels hard thats a new hump? i am 20 days post op

Small hump after rhinoplasty

+1

20 days is still soon after your surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. In general, the final result of your rhinoplasty may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling is gone after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. I would give it some time and see how you heal. In the meantime, it would be best to speak with your surgeon regarding any post-operative concerns. He/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and good luck! 

+1

You might want to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon if this is swelling or residual bone on the nasal dorsum.  You are very early post-op and should not be too worried at this point.

Residual hump after rhinoplasty

+1

It is too early to tell.  Allow three months and then reassess.  If the bump remains you may require a minor procedure to remove a little more cartilage and/or bone.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Small hump after 20 days

+1

What you are describing sounds very normal for 20 days after a major reduction. It is way to soon to even think you have any kind of problem. Be patient and follow your doctor's advice.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump Early in Rhinoplasty Course

+1

This is usually easy to sort out with a quick physical exam.  Realize that the swelling is always a factor, and do not jump into another surgery until at least months. 

20 days after rhinoplasty

+1

At 20 days after rhinoplasty, it is very early and you should wait at least 4-6 months just to get a feel for the final result. It will take up to a year and sometimes more for the swelling to be gone.

Rhinoplasty final result usually visible at four months.

+1

Hi.

A bump is never a good thing, but be optimistic.  It is very early in the game.  You may look fine in several months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)