Tested Positive for Pregnancy 12 Days Post Op After Tummy Tuck. Still Have Drains In, Is a Pill Abortion An Option?

I had a TT without muscles or lipo Feb 20th and today Friday March 2nd I've tested positive on 3 at home name brand test!! I haven't had my last drain removed due to dark red blood still expelling with no bright blood. Is there anyway these test could be inaccurate? Is a pill abortion a option health wise?

Positive pregnancy test 2 weeks after tummy tuck surgery. What to do.

+2

You should absolutely NOT do anything at this point without first consulting your OB/GYN specialist. If you don't have one, ask for a referral from the doctor who did your pre-op physical. Do not wait and do this now to get the full range of options available to you, as well as realistic estimates of potential risks should you decide to continue this pregnancy. Good luck and best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

While terminating the pregnancy is an option, it is not unsafe to continue it as long as your OBGyn feels baby is healthy.

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy 2 weeks post tummy tuck

+1
Your first call should be to your OB/GYN to discuss the options available to you at this point in time. The pros and cons of the "abortion pill" are best discussed/reviewed by your OB/GYN. It is unlikely the tests are inaccurate, but you can confirm the pregnancy with a repeat test or certainly a blood pregnancy test.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon