I'm terrified my nose is going to be worst than before? (photo)

I've always been self conscious about my nose. It was shaped like a birds beak, and I've been made fun of all my life. I finally decided to do something about it. I honestly didn't know what I wanted, I knew I wanted a small nose and to get rid of the bump. I got the cast removed today and was horrified! I look like a pig, and it still looks as if the nostrils are big as well. Please help! Ill post before pics and an after!

I'm terrified my nose is going to be worse than before?

+1

It is way too early.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Based on your photos, your nose appears improved 1 week after rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

Your hump was removed, and it's normal to see a lot of swelling the first week after rhinoplasty surgery. If you have concerns in a month, feel free to re-ask your question with updated photos.

I wish you well.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I can certainly understand your concerns as when the cast comes off patients expect to see substantial improvement. But almost always this is merely the point of maximal swelling and nasal distortion and the nose does not look anything like patients expect. This will improve as the swelling subsides and will look much different in 4 to 6 weeks. You will need to give a full 6 months however to critically judge the final result. What is known for certain is that it will not be worse than before, it is just a question of how much improvement will be obtained.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty : appearance of nose immediately after surgery

+1

The nose retains a substantial amount of swelling after rhinoplasty surgery - this distorts the nasal shape and conceals the important modifications that your surgeon made to your nose. It will take several months to see the rhinoplasty result in its final form.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty result

+1

There looks like a lot of improvement since your pre-op but remember with all the swelling you have to be patient. It will take months for the swelling to subside.

My nose

+1

To me the result is very early but there is a significant improvement as seen in the posted photos. Allow 3 months of heralding..//

What to expect after rhinoplasty.

+1

Thank you for your question and including photos.

It is very common to be quite shocked when the dressing is first removed after rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty can completely change the appearance of your face. It is your new nose and it takes some getting used to it.

The good news is, your noses is just very swollen right now. Sleep with your head of bed elevated on at least 3-4 pillows. It will get better.

It takes a good six weeks for the general swelling to leave after rhinoplasty, three months for most of the swelling to go away and a year for all the swelling to go away. You will be surprised at how much the swelling goes away and your nose improves. It takes time.

Here are some general recovery instructions for rhinoplasty. Obviously, you should follow your surgeon's instructions specifically and keep all of your follow up appointments.

I hope this helps. Best wishes!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS