Terrified After Midface Lift - Now I Have a "Moon Face."

I recently had about 4-5 procedures performed seven weeks ago. One of the procedures was a midface lift.I am 29 years old and i had chubby cheeks even before surgery.Unfortunately i also had fat pads (i guessthe malar fat pad )on each side of my nose that kind of hung and dragged down my midface area. The doctore suggested i do a midfacelift along with the other procedures i was doing. Now my whole cheek upper mid and lower is full.I look like i am on steroids with a moon face.Can this be fixed?

Mid face lift can be reversed soon after surgery.

+3

Hi.

I am astonished by some of the things I read on RealSelf.  Who would do 4 or 5 facial procedures on a 29 year old?

See two other plastic surgeons right away. Depending on how the mid face was done, the bad result may be reversed by cutting some internal stitches as soon a possible.

Midface lift at 29

+2

At 7 weeks you may still have significant swelling that usually gets better over time.  29 is a bit young to have had a midface lift, but some patients do age early for a number of reasons.

Midface lift at 29?

+2

As you can see from the other answers, it is unusual to do a midface lift on a 29 year-old and one with chubby cheeks to start with.  At seven weeks out, you are not totally healed and it will take 3-4 months to get there.  Try to be patient until then and hopefully gravity will help you settle back down a bit.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Midfacelift results

+2

It is unusual to undergo a midfacelift at age 29, but if it was necessary, so be it.  Swelling from this type of procedure may last up to 6 months, so don't loose faith in your doctor just yet.  Keep close follow up.  Be patient.  If you post a picture with your eyes blacked out to obscure you identity, a more thorough evaluation may be possible.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Midface lifts cause great swelling

+1

7weeks is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery - especially after a midface lift.    Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Midface lift and reversal of lift procedures

+1

Reversal of lift procedures is uncommon but does occur.  Forehead lifting, as an example, when performed too high, can be reversed to a moderate degree.  Less invasive procedures could be tried in a conservative fashion first; these would include small canula liposuction or laser lipolysis in a very conservative manner.  If this does not achieve the desired benefit, then surgical treatment could provide reduction of the asymmetry component, as well as the high cheek component.  Of course this depends on the specific anatomy and a direct examination is required before coming up with a good game plan.  Nonetheless, this is an uncommon request but not one that could not be improved upon one way or the other.

David Q. Santos, MD

Is swelling normal after a mid facelift

+1

Essentially everyone will swell after a facial procedure. You are way to early to comment on your final result. That being said in my humble opinion a mid face lift with 5 over the procedures may be a little much in a 29 year old. Clearly pre-op and post op pictures would illuminate your predicament. The key at this point is to be patient and have an open dialog with your surgeon. Good luck hope this helps!

Ritu Chopra, MD

Face Lift, Cheek Enhancement, Revision Face Lift, Mid Face Lift.

+1

I just answered a question with a similar issue. When a Subperiosteal Mid Face Lift is performed on someone with fullness in the areas you mentioned...the nasolabial folds and the sub malaria or below the cheek area...this fullness is lifted up and outward towards the top of the ears creating a wide and full face. That's one of the reasons that I do not do those type of Face Lifts. In my opinion, the Midface Face Lift is reserved for people with very thin faces or more appropriately with very little fatty tissue in their faces. Some form of fatty tissue reduction during a Revision Face Lift be it with minimal skin undermining or a more extensive one which would be determined by the amount of excess fat in the face...should help address the issue.

Midface lift, chek lift, facelift

+1

I am a little confused why you had to have so much surgery at age 29.  Be that as it may swelling can play a role for several weeks after surgery.  It would be useful to have before and after photos for comparison.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Midface lift

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had the results you hoped for.  At age 29, it seems like you've had a lot done to your face - photos would really help to understand your problem and what was done.  At 7 weeks you may still have a little post op swelling.  It's hard to visualize what you mean by a "moon face" without a photo.  Have you talked to your surgeon?  I would recommend discussing with him your healing process and what reasonably and realistically could be done to improve your result.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD