Will I Lose Sensation in my Breast with a Breast Lift?

I am considering a breast lift without implants. Will I lose sensation in the breast? Is there a procedure that does not cause loss of sensation?

Sensation after a breast lift

+2

Most of my patients retain normal sensation after a breast lift but loss of sensation is definitely a risk that must be considered when having any breast surgery.  

Breast Lift

+1

Any surgery entails certain risks. Breast lift surgery can alter sensation to the breast and/or nipple but it is usually temporary should it occur. Although possible, it would be very unlikely for there to be a permanent change in sensation. You should consult a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your treatment options for a breast lift and to review the benefits as well as the risks of the surgery with you.

Sensation After Breast Lift

+1

It is common to experience numbness near the incisions with any surgery, but typically sensation returns within one year. Everyone's healing experience is different. Many patients experience no loss of sensation in the nipples or even a heightened sensitivity. It is impossible to predict the outcome of any procedure, but I typically tell my patients to weigh the risks and benefits and make an informed decision. Good luck!

Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Sensation

+1

The nerve input to the nipple come from 4 different areas. Although it is possible to lose sensation after a breast lift it is very unlikely

Will I lose Sensation After Breast Surgery?

+1

There is always a chance that you can lose nipple sensation when you have breast surgery.   Keeping in mind that everyone is different and will heal at different rates, patients can experience complete or partial numbness or heightened sensation after surgery, but both usually return to normal over time.  It's rare to have permanent loss of sensation but there is no way to guarantee it.

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Breast sensation after breast lift

+1

Thank you for your question. With any breast surgery, there is always a risk of change in nipple sensation. Often times, these changes in sensation are transient, but unfortunately, sometimes they can be permanent. My breast lift technique aims to preserve nipple sensation and viability. I believe that a major part of breast lift should be geared towards  a functional breast. The majority of my patients retain their nipple sensation after breast lift and breast reduction.

When choosing your surgeon, please make sure you choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has performed many breast lifts.

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com

Breast lift and sensory issues

+1

Some patients can lose sensation in the nipple areola after a lift or reduction. The statistics I have read report approximately 85% have normal sensation at 1 year.

Loss of sensation possible with breast surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  Any time one has breast surgery there is a possibility of loss of nipple sensation.  Also, you may have diminished sensation in the skin of the breast; this will recover.  Diminished nipple sensation will usually improve over time; complete loss of nipple sensation may not improve.  Fortunately, this is rare.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Breast Lift and sensation

+1

With a mastopexy there are no guarantees that you will maintain sensation in the nipple areola.  There may be up to o15% chance.  Fortunately, many times sensation returns, but again, no guarantees.

sek

Sendation After Breast Lift Surgery

+1

You will usually not lose any nipple sensation at all. The breast skin around the nipples will have some temporary numbness but normal feeling will return in 6 months or less. Loss of sensation is not usually a concern in most types of breast lifts.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift.html