I Am So Tense After Subglandular BA, What Can I Do?

I'm two weeks post op from subglandular breast augmentation, still sleeping on back and not only am I sleeping horrble my back is so tight/tense. I've taken hot showers to help relax, and heating pads. It helps, but I feel the need/urge to stretch out my back. What can I do?

Sleeping and/or Size May Be The Reason

+2
I'm sorry to hear that you're not sleeping well after your BA - especially since you're still recovering. Your problem might be related to a couple things:

Your sleeping position
If you don't normally sleep on your back, then your body will be tense from adjusting to the new position. Pay attention to how you sleep and make sure your back is well supported by your mattress. You can try placing a pillow or two under your legs for additional support.  Definitely try sleeping on your sides with a pillow between your knees and your knees slightly bent up towards your chest  -  if you can do this, you may find the back problem subsides.
The size of your implants
If you've received larger implants, your back might be adjusting to the additional weight, and this may be leading to tenseness. Make sure your breasts are well supported when you're upright.

At any rate, you sound pretty distressed about it so you probably should see your surgeon to discuss this.
Wishing you all the best!

Back Pain after Surgery

+1

It is common for patients to experience back pain / tension after breast surgery and having to sleep on their backs.  Talk to your plastic surgeon to see if they have any recommendations.  I have had patients who get a back massage with a cream that helps take the tension out of the back.  You would do this sitting up - NOT laying on your stomach.

Again, best thing to do is to talk to your surgeon to see what he/she recommends.

Tightness after BA

+1

Tightness after breast augmentation is usually due to the skin being stretched by the implant.  There is often a feeling of tightness, particularly if the implant is on the larger size, and also if there was very little breast tissue to begin with.  See your original surgeon for the followup care and they should be able to advise you on specifics to your case.  Good luck!!

Charles Hsu, MD

Breast augmentation and back tightness

+1

Tightness after breast augmentation may be related to your sleeping position or from the skin stretching on the chest.

Tightness following breast augmentation

+1

If your skin was tight prior to surgery then it can take some time for the implant to stretch the overlying skin.  Ask your plastic surgeon about massage to help speed up the process and make sure that you do not have anything unusual going on.  

Breast implants

+1

See your doctor who did the surgery. Could just be some muscle spasm from sleeping in a new position while recovering. Usually no significant pain with a subglandular breast implant surgery. Good luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon