American Board of Otolaryngology for Revision Rhino?

I am currently looking for a revision specialist. Someone that is apparently a highly regarded rhinoplasty specialist (and revision) is board certified: American Board of Otolaryngology. I always hear go to "Board Certified Plastic Surgeon". However, this person seems to have performed many rhinoplasties with lots of positive reviews. I am alway confused as whats preferred for rhino: FACS, Plastic Surgery, now this? Does it matter which as long as he's performed several succesful rhinos?

Board Certification for Revision Rhinoplasty

+3

While board certification is always important the scope of a physician's practice is also critical. You want a surgeon who truly specializes in revision rhinoplasty, a procedure that occupies a great deal of that surgeon's practice. Otolaryngologgy-Head and Neck Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, and Plastic Surgery all provide training in rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

You will have to get past all of those certifications and attempt to identify genius and reproducibility.  This is hard for the patient.  I think the two best things you can do is determine the number of rhinoplasties performed each year and then look at the before and after photo galleries.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Most of us  Facial Plastic or "Plastic Surgeons" know the true masters of revision rhinoplasties. There are a handful of Surgeons who have achieved a reputation to operate successfully on complicated nasal problems. They almost limit their practice to these problems.

The best advice I can give is to call a few Plastic Surgery Offices, ask for their recommendation for secondary rhinoplasty  and (hopefully) you will hear names which come up again and again. Than call the office of such a surgeon. The nose does not tolerate repeat surgeries very well and therefore the next time make sure it is the "last  and final time" .

Good luck !!!

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Selection should be made after the first date

+1

Rhinoplasty, in my opinion, is the most complicated of facial plastic surgeries. Revision is even more challenging. The best way to select your surgeon is:

1) Meet with them - are they interested in understanding your needs? Are they good listeners? Are they patient and non-pushy?

2) Look at their cases - any good rhinoplasty surgeon should have hundreds of pre and post photos to show you

3) Then and only then should you examine credentials. There are excellent AAPS surgeons, AAFPS surgeons and ABOTO surgeons. There are also "less good" ones in each of those categories

4) The best docs are always busy. They should be interested in helping you but not desperate for a case. They should not "over-promise"

At the end of the day there are no guarantees but following these 4 steps will help weed out the wheat from that chaff 

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many "world-class" Rhinoplasty Surgeons are Otolaryngologists.

+1

There are many ENT specialists that have training and experience to perform Rhinoplasty Surgery. If your surgeon has a good reputation, many favorable photos, and many positive patient reviews, you may be in good hands.

Good luck to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I am one of those "Board Certified Plastic Surgeons"  but I can tell you the main thing you want is a surgeon who has studied cosmetic surgery and performed lots of surgeries of the type you want. Some surgeons get to that point by first getting board certified in Otolaryngology and then later specialize in cosmetic surgery of the face and neck. As long as your doctor is experienced as noted above, you will be fine.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

The reality is that members of:

1. The American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
  2. The American Board of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
  3. The American Board of Plastic Surgery
  4. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery 

Are all qualified to perform facial plastic surgery including Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty.  No one board has a legitimate right to claim superiority over another...such claims are motivated by marketing in my opinion and not facts.  

You should select your Rhinoplasty Surgeon based on his/her ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face.

Boards and rhinoplasty

+1

I think that if you choose an experienced otolaryngologist, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon you will be ok.

choosing a surgeon for Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Board-certified facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons and otolaryngologists  all can perform a successful rhinoplasty. Important to go to  a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed a  few thousand successful rhinoplasties not a few successful rhinoplasties.