Tendon Sticks out After Lumpectomy

Recently I had a lumpectomy and two lymph nodes removed. When I lift my right arm, I have a tendon that sticks out. My surgery was two weeks ago and it hasn't gone away.

Strange lump like cord after breast surgery

+1

As the other surgeon' s have mentioned, this sounds most like Mondor's thrombophebitis and is due to clotted veins as a consequence to surgery. It looks like a cord or "guitar like" string under the skin. This tends to occure 2-3 weeks after surgery and usually resolves by 3 months. Warm compresses, motrin and scar massage may help expedite resolution of the cord.

Tendon or cord after breast surgery

+1

It sound like you have a Mondor's cord. If so, this is a benign condition or a superficial phlebitis that usually goes away on its own.  But I would check with your doctor.

Tendon sticks out after lumpectomy

+1

If you mean below your breast than it is Mondor's thrombophebilitis syndrome, which is very treatable via warm compresses and anti inflammatory meds.  Or if it is in your axillary area than the pectoralis tendon or band is showing, really no treatment. A photo would help.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Mondor's band after breast surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to have a band that extends down from the breast after breast surgery especially when raising the arm on that side.  This is a benign condition called a Mondor's band and it always goes away spontaneously plus using Motrin and massage.  Check with your doctor for sure.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

"Tendon" or cord after breast surgery

+1

Your surgeon needs to examine you but the most common finding like this is a thrombosed or blocked small vein referred to as a Mondor's cord. This can be seen in the placement of breast implants and is treated conservatively with warm compresses and a non-steroidal antiinflammatory medication . Having said that you should be seen by your surgeon who can give you a better idea after examining you.

Take care.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS