Tendency for Allerges and Co2 Laser Resurfacing?

Hello, How does situation look like for someone with tendency for allergies, who wants to heal his acne scars with co2 laser? Is laser safe for someone like that? If so, what should be done differently. Any special care for very sensitive skin? any recommendations? Thank You very much.

Anti-histamines prior to treatment can help

+2

Seasonal allergies are not a contraindication to CO2 laser, and where I practice in St. Louis, they are very common. People with this tendency, however, can benefit from taking antihistamines prior to the procedure. This seems to decrease the post-procedure itching that can be exaggerated in patients with allergies.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Sensitive skin and laser resurfacing for acne scars

+1

This is not an uncommon situation that I face when addressing the treatment of acne scars.  As the post-operative treatment regimen is crucial to good healing, I recommend to patients with extremely sensitive skin, those patients who seem to be allergic to everything, to patch test the post treatment products I would have them use, on their skin before the treatment. This is done several weeks prior to the intended scheduled treatment so as to have enough time to treat any reaction and test more products to find ones that can be used after the treatment. If we can't find any that are tolerated then the treatment shouldn't be done. There is a possibility though that topical products tested before the laser might not cause a reaction, but can on the skin made more reactive immediately after the resurfacing.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/fraxel/index.html

Acne scars can be treated with CO2 laser

+1

Acne scars do very well with the CO2 laser. If you have sensitive skin, our office would recommend a topical protocol to prep your skin prior to CO2 laser. Surgery90210

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/35/acne-scars.aspx