Temporary Otoplasty- Non Surgical Option?

Hi, I want to get otoplasty in the near future but in the mean time I wanted to see if there was a temporary solution that would not harm my ears, maybe a product on the market? (the only thing I found was a product called "ear tucks")

Temporizing before otoplasty

+2
Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for protruding ears except otoplasty. Taping the ears will have no effect and call even more attention to the condition of the ears.

Surgery is best option for adult prominent ears

+2

The ears grow rapidly in comparison to many other parts of the body. We reach approximately 80% of our permanent ear size by the time we are 3 years old!  This means that the ear shape is relatively "mature" from a much younger age than the rest of our bodies.  This poses a challenge in terms of getting permanent results such as those you would get from surgery.  Ear cartilage has memory and will likely go back to its original shape unless something more aggressive is done.  Also, surgery is no guarantee that your ears will stay pinned.  Your best chance at ensuring a successful result is to check with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who is skilled in otoplasties to see your options.  

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Otoplasty

+2

There are no really effective methods of non-surgical otoplasty. This would require some sort of a device or method that would fold the ears back and hold them in place. This could be accomplished with taping with that would be both unstable and visible. To see a change in your ears, you will have to wait until it is a good time for you to have an actual otoplasty procedure. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Otoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, there is no great temporary product on the market that can mimic the results of a surgical Otoplasty.  “Ear tucks” may work while you are using them, but is very temprorary.  I would recommend having a consultation with your local facial plastic surgeon to see what your options  are—from a recovery perspective, otoplasty usually requires minimal downtime.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Protruding Ears

+1

The only way to correct protruding ears, is an otoplasty.  This procedure makes happy patients!  I would recommend you discuss your expectations and concerns with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for your best results.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Otoplasty and avoiding the surgery for the time being before the surgery

+1

There are some temporary measures out there. But it will be hard to find a doctor that will advise this. I'm not recommending this, but I have seen patients apply special tape and adhesives to pin the ears back. This can cause damage to the skin if done too much.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon