Will Temporary Crowns Affect the Shape of my Gums?

I had extracted a tooth by a periodontist. I then had some bone grafting done so that I can get an implant in the future. I then went to my dentist who put temporary bridge on (top 3 front teeth #6,7,8).I've noticed that he made 7&8 look slightly like a unitooth-will this affect my gum shape since it's in healing phase now?I'm worried that my gums will stay in a straightish shape instead of having a concave nice round shape. I will be wearing these temps for a couple months until implant heals.

+1

The shape of the gum has a lot to do with the beauty of the final results of the crown you'll have on your dental implant.

The temporary crowns ought to resemble the profiles of the teeth and gum lines of the future final results.

It's a good time to ask both your cosmetic dentist as well as the periodontist about what you are seeing.

Any time there is a tooth extracted (with or without bone grafting) the gum profile changes over a few months, so be concerned, but don't panic.

In my practice, sometimes it is necessary to use a temporary abutment and a temporary crown right on the implant (once it's fully healed). This can really sculpt the tissue.

Like any other highly visible treatment, ask your cosmetic dentist about what to expect. 

Web reference: http://www.scottgreenhalghdds.com/tissue-management-implant-dentistry.html

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Provisional/Temporary crowns are used to reshape gums

+1

The use of a provisional or temporary crown to shape and mould gum tissue is widely used.  If the eventual plan is to place an implant in the site the most important phase may be the shaping of the gum tissue during the surgery and after the implant is placed.  The provisional on the implant and the implant used may be most influential on the final look of the tooth.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Temp crown will affect your gum shape

+1

Yes, it will affect the shape of gums but you need to discuss with your dentist about it. He/She might be able to explain the situation correctly.  Dentists usually try to use temporary phase to get desired shaping of gums to achieve optimum function and esthetics. It is very important in front teeth area . They can also work as trial(dress-rehearsal) to make you comfortable and happy with the smile as each individual has own cosmetic goals.

Frisco Cosmetic Dentist

Will temporary crowns alter the shape of the gum

+1

Short answer: yes. simply express your concern to your dentist. hopefully you could afford to chose a cosmetic dentist specially hen it is your front teeth that you are restoring.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Crown Affects Gum Shape

+1

Yes, your temporary crown WILL affect the shape of the healing gum tissue. Usually, a good cosmetic dentist will make an ovate-shape pontic (false tooth) on the temporary, so that it sits in the depression of the extraction site. That way, the gum tissue will heal in the scalloped-looking shape of normal healthy gum tissue.

New York Cosmetic Dentist