Loose Temporary Crown

My temporary crown is loose. Dentemp from Wallgreens does not help. Composite filling underneath the temporary fell apart - there is not much of a retention now. Will see my dentist only in a month. What can I do to make my life easier?

Loose temporary crown

+4

Temporary crowns can become loose pretty often, especially in the situations when the tooth has high occlusal pressure and minimal underneath structure for retention. My recommendation will be to see your dentist asap to improve the retention of the provisional crown. The structure of the tooth can be affected if you will wait long time and lead to fracture, decay and even periapical changes due to leakage of bacteria underneath of the crown. Standart post and core procedure can tremendously improve the retention of the crown and improve your well-being. In a mean time you can use some minor amount of Fixodent (used for denture retention) and add inside the crown on top of Denttemp- this is the secret from one of my patients who run into similar problem being on a criuse.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

This should never happen.

+3

Something is wrong. First if the walls of the preparation are close to parallel then unless you pull up on a temporary crown with floss or with an instrument  it should never come loose. The only exception to this would be a crown on an abnormally short tooth and in this case the dentist would warn you of this situation.  In addition normally if there is a composite build-up under your crown it should be bonded to the tooth structure/ and be additionally retained by  being locked into the tooth structure or have retention pins placed to help assure it's retention. In our office loose temporary crowns almost never happen (like 1 in 4 years); in addition I have never had a composite build-up under a crown come loose in 30 years of practice. IN ANY CASE I WOULD SUGGEST VERY STRONGLY THAT YOU SEE A DENTIST IMMEDIATELY AS YOU MAY END UP WITH A ROOT CANAL OR LOSE THE TOOTH IF YOU WAIT.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Loose temporary- don't wait too long

+3

If your temporary crown is that loose and the composite filling material underneath is falling apart, you will not want to wait 1 month to get to a dentist.  If the filling underneath (foundation) has changed, then your final crown will probably not fit.  You need to let your dentist know as soon as possible so the tooth can be treated appropriately.  

If the foundation were still intact, you could use a small amount of toothpaste or vaseline to help hold the temporary crown onto the tooth.  But it sounds like in your case, there is an additional problem that needs to be addressed.

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Problem with Loose Temporary Crown

+2

I think that the first thing that you need to do is see a dentist before the month period that you are describing.  If your dentist is out of town, perhaps you can see someone else to have it evaluated.  A month is too long to wait.  You may compromise the fit of your permanent crown by waiting.  If part of the composite buildup fell out, the tooth may no longer have enough retention to place a crown.  Your dentist can evaluate the situation and see if he still feels a crown is the best long term solution.  The key is to get in to see him/her asap.  Don't wait!

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Loose Temporary Crown

+2

You describe situation where I must assume either the tooth preparation is too short or the walls are insufficiently parallel to provide adequate retention.  You may have fractured the buildup material that was copied in the impression sent to the dental lab.

It is important that you see your dentist as soon as possible.  This tooth may need to be rebuilt, re-prepared and a new impression taken.  Otherwise you may face a tooth preparation which continues to degrade and a final crown with no tooth structure to properly retain the crown.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Loose Temporary Crown

+2

A month wait is too long if your temporary crown came out.  It is also a concern if the filling under the temporary is also falling apart.   I would recommend you see another dentist to temporarily help you out while you are waiting to see your own dentist.

Dan Haas, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary crown is loose

+2

You really need to see a dentist as soon as possible, a month is too long to wait. If the composite under the crown is broken down, then it will need to be redone and the crown re-prepared. Most of the do it yourself temporary cements don't work that well for very long (if at all), and if the tooth breaks you might need a root canal or an extraction.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Loose temporary crown

+2

There is nothing YOU can do. See a dentist to build up the tooth stump with composite core materials and make you a new temporary crown.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Loose Temporary Crown

+2

A loose temporary is of a small concern unless it is causing you problems. Simply call the office and they should be able to get you in to recemtn it. If it occurs over the weekend, there are a few options for you: 1. the pharmacy sells a temporary crown cement you can use, at home you can use toothpaste, vaseline to recemnt it.  You need to make sure that you have the crown on correctly if it comes out and you need to recement it.  Good Luck

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Lose Temporary Crown

+2

What a shame that you won't be seeing your dentist for a month. I'm not sure what the reason is for that but if cementing a permanent crown is the plan then your plan is now changed as they most likely will NOT be able to deliver the permanent crown because it will NOT fit due to the breakdown of the crown build-up. You need to get an appointment ASAP to fix the build-up and take a new impression for the permanent crown. You dentist should be available 24/7 or have someone on call for this kind of an emergency.

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist