Temporary Cement for Permanent Crown, is That Standard Practice of Care?

I have had temporary cement for my permanent crown for the past 4 months. When I went back to my dentist to have the permanent cement put in, her and the dental assistant both independently told me that most patients have a misunderstanding that temporary cement is not meant to last. They recommended that I leave in the temporary cement, which can supposedly last for years?? Is this standard practice of care or should I insist on having the permanent cement done?

Temporary Cement for a Permanent crown

+1

Some dentists place crowns initially just to make sure that there is no tooth fracture or if there is a possible need for root canal treatment. If everything is fine and the crown is secure you can leave it alone until it comesvloose. Some temp cements can last a long time. Just make sure the margins are closed

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Temporary Cement for Permanent Crowns

+1

Many well trained restorative dentists routinely cement crowns with temporary cement forever, unless there is a problem with them coming off. I, personally, prefer to use permanent cement for the best color and marginal fit. It is not hat difficult to make a new crown should one break.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary or Permanent cement, that is the question

+1

If your permanent crown has been cemented with temporary cement, this should not be a reason for concern.  Temporary cement can be long lasting and is placed there for a reason. As many of the above dentists responded, it was probably because your doctor suspected that he/she may have to retrieve the crown at some point in time, or because you have had a sensitivity with the tooth, eilther to temperature or to pressure. Temporary cement will act to sedate the tooth in many instances and allow the tooth to calm down and feel good. No need to be overly concerned, if and when the temporary cement loosens, the crown can be permanently cemented if all is feeling well. I personally will temporlize a permanent crown for the same reasons and sometimes within 6 months to several years will replace the cement with permanent cement. You have been treated well. :)

Susan G. Rifkin, DDS
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Cement For A Crown

+1

If your crown is stable and not causing any sensitivity you should leave it alone.  The only time that crowns are typically cemented with a temporary cement is when the tooth has been sensitive in the temporary crown and suspect for a root canal. If the tooth settles down and the temporary cement has the crown secured then leave it.  If it ever comes off it would be easy to cement permanently at that time.  You should be aware that this temporary cement could hold for several years before becoming loose.  Good luck. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Cement for a Permanent crown

+1

I wonder why the tooth had been temporarily cemented in the first place.  Some temporary cement can last for a very long time.  We normally temporarily cement teeth that are suspected to have a fracture and may need a root canal or is symptomatic.  We leave it temporarily cemented until it comes loose.  If the crown is stable than leave it alone

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Cement

+1

Temporary Cement or Provisional cement can last for years.  If the crown has good natural retention and is stable then it can be left with temporary cement indefinitely.  Temporary cement doesn't disintegrate or wash out.  It can allow the crown to be removed in some cases which may be advantageous later.  Imp-lant crowns are usually cemented with temporary cement so that the abutment underneath may be serviced if necessary.  Your dentist is correct.  If the crown were ever to come loose in the future, which may never happen, then she may try to cement with temporary cement again or a harder permanent cement.  Once we use the permanent cement, in most cases there is zero chance of removing the crown with out destroying it.  If per chance you ever a root canal in the tooth under the crown, it could theoretically be removed, the root canal performed and the crown replaced with out having to incur the cost of a new crown.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary cement for a Permanent Crown

+1

Under "normal" circumstances, a permanent crown over a natural tooth should ultimately be permanently cemented. Quite often, if there is an unresolved issue or problem with the tooth, the crown will be "tested" with a temporary cement. However, that cement should be replaced every 3-6 months, on average, in order to insure that there is no leakage goiung on. Ehen all issues have been resolved, then the crown should be permanently cemented unless you plan on changing the cement every 3-6 months.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Cement

+1

It depends case by case. Usually a permanent crown is cemented temporarily if you had sensitivity and your doctor wants to evaluate things further. In cosmetic cases/areas its not uncommon to have the permanent crowns cemented temporarily for the patient to have a test run/trial period to make sure they like the shape and shade of the tooth before it's cemented permanently. Temporary cements are not meant to last forever, so check with your dentist to see when is the appropriate time to have it cemented permanently.

Ashkan Haeri, DMD
Mission Viejo Cosmetic Dentist