Will a Temporal Lift For Brows And Excess Eyelid Skin Alter the Hairline? (photo)

I am considering a temporal lift to elevate the side of my eyebrows and correct excess skin on upper lids. Will the placing of the incisions alter the hairline in the temple earea?

Temporal Lift

+2

In general, a temporal lift helps to shape the outer brow and elevate it. It does not directly improve your upper eyelid redundancy if this is significant.

Browlift & Hairlines

+2

It depends on how it is performed.  When I perform a temporal or lateral brow lift I usually place the incision in the hair which only slightly moves the hairline (up & back).  If I need to move the hairline then I plan on a different incision.  So, it can be accomplished either way. 

I would discuss a minimally invasive brow lift, as well, for a gentle forehead elevation and small trim of the upper lids.  From your photos you will look great.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temporal brow lift and the hairline

+2

if the incision is made right in front of the hairline, it will not change it. If the incision is made back within the scalp, then, whatever skin is removed to elevate the temporal brow will recede the hairline about that amount. If there is no skin removed, then the longevity of the brow lift will likely be relatively short

Julio Garcia, MD

Type of brow lift

+1

Probably the best brow lift for you would be the trichophytic hairline brow lift.

You also seem to have some eyelid ptosis and may benefit from correction of that

Sam Naficy, MD

A limited incision, temporal or lateral brow lift can alter the hairline, or not

+1

A limited incision, temporal or lateral brow lift generally involves using very small incisions above the hairline in the temporal region to elevate the lateral aspect of the eyebrows and improve the contour of the upper eyelids in this region.  I will generally place the incisions involved in this procedure above the hairline and remove some skin in addition to elevating the muscle and soft tissue beneath the skin.  Removing a  small amount of skin in this area further guarantees a long-lasting and more effective lift. 

Whether or not any skin is removed, placement of the incision above the hairline will necessarily alter the hairline slightly by elevating it along with the elevation of the eyebrows.  Alternatively, if the hairline position is very important to you, the incision could be placed right at the edge of the hairline, angled in such a way that the hair follicles will grow right through the incision post-operatively in order to camouflage the incision.  In this way, the hairline location would not be altered. 

However, there is a small risk that careful inspection of the hairline (i.e. when hair is pulled back) might reveal a small scar.  If the hairline position is elevated slightly, along with the elevation of the brows, this is balanced off by the benefit of a well-hidden scar, so that the choice of placing the scar above the hairline is selected by most patients. 

Personally, I usually prefer to hide the scar as completely as possible, even at the expense of a slight change in position of the hairline.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temple lift and incision options

+1

A temporal brow lift is a nice procedure that addresses lateral brow ptosis (sagging). It will not address the medial brow (the portion of the brow that is closest to the upper part of the nose). Typically, 1-2cm of skin is removed. If the incision is placed in the hair it is well camoflouged but you will get a slight alteration in the hairline position. If the incision is placed just in front of the hairline the position of the hairline will not change but the scar will be more visible.

The other factor to consider is theamount of excess upper eyelid skin that you have. Frequently, temple lifts are combined with an upper blepharoplasty and the results can be very nice.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Temple lift with facelifts and effect on hairline

+1

temple lifts are usually done with a small incision behind the hairline. for most patients this will not have a significant change in the hairline or sideburn.   If the incision is place at the hairline.  it can actually lower  it and can be used for this purpose in some patients

A temporal (lateral) brow lift is tried-and-true to raise the eyebrow arch, smooth wrinkles & reduce frown lines

+1

Although the browlift technique can be used purposely to alter the hairline position, your hairline should remain in the same position. It depends on the technique used by the surgeon. For our readers, the ideal female eyebrow should curve upwards to the arch, going from inner to outer (just look at eyebrows in photos of people you find attractive). Over time, the outer eyebrow drops down. A temporal brow lift is really the gold standard technique for elevating the outer half (i.e. the "temporal" region) of the eyebrows. It can be done either endoscopically (using tiny hidden incisions within the hair and "endotines" which are small anchors) for a modest lift, or by placing a scar along the hairline (without altering it) for a more aggressive lift.  It appears that you would be a good candidate for either technique. The lifted forehead skin is anchored to the strong tissue layer (periosteum) overlying the bone - that's why your hairline should not move. If it's not anchored, the brow will droop again. Another great thing about brow lift surgery is that the frown lines ("number 11's") can be softened and smoothed permanently (a Botox effect that lasts forever). For people with a very low hairline (not you), the technique can use a long incision within the hair (the coronal brow lift) which is the most aggressive lift and DOES elevate the hairline. This is less common and I would not recommend this technique for you. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS - website link provided below) is a great source of information. Make sure you find a plastic surgeon who is board certified and willing to show you before/after photos.

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Temporal lift will raise the hairline

+1
A temporal lift will raise the hairline. For men or women with receding hairlines or high foreheads, a temporal lift may elongate the forehead. As with all facial operations, a procedure for you has to be designed taking into account your facial structure. If the incision is placed in front of the harline, just be advised that the scarring may be evident and this would be a downside that most patients would not elect to risk.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hairline and temporal browlift

+1

Yes, your hairline will change after any browlift procedure. How depends on the approach and incision placement chosen by your surgeon.

For instance, a majority of women in their 40s and 50s experience some degree of temporal hairline recession. of the incision is placed within this thinning hair. the hairline esthetics may barely change. if the incision is placed behind the thinning hair, the hairline will be higher.

Therefore, I like to use a hairline-lowering or hairline-indifferent approach in most patients.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon