Temporal Buccal Loop Lift Removal, Dimple Lift? (photo)

My doctor performed a SMAS Facelift with mid face suspension & Temporal Buccal Loop-lift (dimple lift). A mo. after surgery, it was clear to the Dr. & me that the Temporal Buccal Looplift was done differently on the two sides of my face. See pix. Dr. said he must have pulled 2 muscles in the stitch on left & one muscle on the right causing distortion. Dr. went in & cut the loop on my left but left the suture in. Is cutting the suture & not removing it bad & could it cause future irritation?

Temporal Buccal Loop Lift Removal, Dimple Lift?

+1

Leaving a suture in the face may not have any impact at all.  I personally do not use permanent sutures, but many do.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Temporal Lift Dimpling

+1

The dimpling of your left cheek definitely improved following dividing the suture on the left side.  You still seem to have dimpling of the right cheek that is lower than on the left side.  The suture material is generally pretty non-reactive and is not likely to cause any irritation although this is possible.

Michael Sundine, MD

Temporal Buccal Loop Asymmetry

+1

Although I am not fully certain what procedure your Surgeon performed, it seems to me like this was some form of midface lift.  If this was a minimal incision midface lift with suture loop, the procedure carries a moderate degree of risk of asymmetry.  Luckily, this isn't a very long-lived type of procedure, so the asymmetry should resolve over the next 8-12 months.  If the suture was a polypropylene or nylon, these suture materials are very non reactive and will most likely pose no problems.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon