Very Temperamental Fluctuating Tip Swelling 7 Months After Rhinoplasty. Very Concerned?

I am a 26 year old male who had an open rhinoplasty approximately 7 months ago. Since my surgery my nose has had an incredible propensity to swell up very quickly in response to any sort of warm temperature, lying down, stress, exercise, even no reason at all etc. It seems when there is increased blood flow to my nose, my nose swells and "balloons" out. I took a warm bath the other night and when I got out my nose was red and very swollen at the tip. At seven months, Im going CRAZY!! Any advice?

Nasal tip swelling after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to have some degree of swelling to the tip of the nose for the first 12 months after surgery.  Some individuals are more prone the this condition including those with thicker nasal skin.  Gentle massage may be of some benefit.  

Swelling Post Rhinoplasty

+1

This is normal in the first 12-15 months and especially in males, patients with revision rhinoplasties, or those who have thick skin. The key is to wait until all the post rhinoplasty swelling has subsided.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Tip swelling 7 months after rhinoplasty is normal.

+1

Tip swelling 7 months after rhinoplasty is normal. You just need to be patient for at least another 6 months and the swelling will go away.

Rhinoplasty and swelling

+1

The nasal tip will swell.  The swelling will come and go, it will be at one place then resolve then appear somewhere else.  Depending on your skin thickness and inflammation due to the handling of tissues and graft placement etc.  the swelling may take a good year to a year and a half to resolve.  Essentially the skin will eventually come down and "shrink wrap"around the nasal skeleton.  I would take a follow up office visit with the surgeon to render an opinion and perhaps inject some steroid if there is an area in particualar that needs to settle. 

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fluctuating tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
The nasal tip is quite vascular, and though most of the swelling is gone and softness has returned by seven months, more time just might be needed. Nothing to do except wait this one out.

Rhinoplasty and Swelling

+1

Although not common, this can happen. Swelling can be persistent for up to a year in the nose and in particular the tip. Some people take longer to resolve this swelling. Some other areas of the body will have intermittent swelling during the recovery phase. I would recommend a mild topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone 1%. Use it two to three times a day for two weeks. I hope that this will help as will some more time to heal. Be patient and you are not going crazy! Good luck! Dr Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon