How Can I Tell if my Bulbous Tip is Able to Be Reduced?

I'm considering having my tip reduced/shaped as it looks like a little ball, I'd prefer it to be straight and slightly more defined. My nose isn't absolutely huge but I just want to ask, I can't tell if my skin is thick, so will this stop my potential to get satisfactory results if my skin is thick?

Limitations of rhinoplasty is determined during consultation

+1

It is impossible to give any advice about reducing the bulbosity of the nasal tip without looking and feeling the nose tip. Cartilage grafting and suturing techniques are used to refine the nasal tip and make sure it balances with the remainder of the nose. A consultation in our office with computer imaging would determine if you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and thick skin

+1

Skin thickness will have an effect on the long term outcome of rhinoplasty.  Thicker skin will have a tendency to retain swelling longer and camouflage the final results of nasal surgery.   Most paients with thick skin will require a greater amount of cartilagenous support and a structure rhinoplasty approach.

William J. Binder, MD

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Thick Skin

+1

Patients with thick skin can improve their appearance with rhinoplasty surgery. You need a consultation with an experienced surgeon to discuss alternatives and establish reasonable expectations. You will then decide if you can achieve a satisfactory result.

The only way you can determine if your bulbous tip can be corrected is in consultation with an experienced surgeon.

+1

The results of Rhinoplasty depend on the skin assuming the shape of the underlying changes made in the structural components of the nose.  Specifically, changes in the cartilages that make up the structure of the nasal tip determine the overall shape and contour of the tip after surgery. 

Although changes are certainly more visible in individuals who are "thin-skinned", very nice improvements in shape are possible for individuals with thicker skin.  Unfortunately, the determination of what results can be expected requires more than a photograph; You will need to see an experienced surgeon for a physical examination and consultation.

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and the Thick Skinned Nose

+1

Hi,

Sounds like you should visit a few experienced rhinoplasty surgeons for consultation and then have all of your questions answered.  Thick nasal skin can have limitations on rhinoplasty.  A rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to tell you what you can realistically expect from surgery once your nose and skin is examined.  Very nice results are possible even in thick skinned individuals.

Most importantly choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

See an expert for your rhinoplasty concerns

+1

A bulbous tip can be from thick skin, overdeveloped cartilage, or both.  That's why a consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will clarify your situation. There are multiple techiques to redefine a tip, from cartilage shaping and grafting, to alterations in the cartilage work that account for a thicker blanket of skin draping over the surgical alterations.  These are very common situations for the surgeon, and should be easily explained. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

bulbous tip is able to be reduced

+1

The best way is to seek in person opinions from boarded plastic surgeons. Obtain at least 3 opinions or photos posted could help us answer.

From MIAMI DR. B

Most bulbous tips can be refined.

+1

Though skin thickness is a factor in the final result, most patients can have significant improvement if the go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon whose noses they like.

Rhinoplasty surgeons with bulbous tip are usually some of the happiest patients

+1

In our experience, patients who present with bulbous tip are often the happiest after surgery because a very significant but natural appearing change can be made that lasts long term with relatively minimal down time. Your question regarding skin thickness is very important in terms of how the surgeon achieves the level of refinement you are seeking to achieve. However, in the right hands we have found that even in African Americans, Middle Eastern and Hispanic patients who tend to have relatively thick skin, we can achieve a very nice change throught sutur techniques and without resorting to excessive cartilage removal.

We have found that long term it is important not to remove too much cartilage, as many surgeons do when they treat bulbous tip, because long term that can lead to the pinched, "done" appearance that you occasionally see in patients who had surgery in the past.

I hope this along with Dr Pearlman's answer help you in answering any concerns you have regarding rhinoplasty. If we can be of any further help feel free to let us know.

Warm Regards.

Peyman Solieman, MD

To learn if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty see an expert

+1

You brought up a number of good points in your inquiry. Skin thickness can affect the results of rhinoplasty. There are a number of other factors like cartilage shape, position and strength as well a consideration of ethnicity. Rhinoplasty can be a very rewarding experience for the right patient and when performed by an expert in nasal surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD