Should I be worried about otoplasty results overtime & recurrence? (photo)

Hi! I had an otoplasty on December 2013. The doctor made the operation with absorbable sutures which dissolved after 3 months. My ears are fine, but there's a slight asymmetry (the left ear is more stuck out than the right). It's been almost 8 months and I would really like my operation to stay in the current state, but I am terrified by the fact that only the left ear will continue to protude. Or, that the ears will return to their original form. Are my worries relevant at all? Thanks! Delsin

Continual protrusion on one side after otoplasty

+1
It is unlikely that this will get medialized or closer to your head with time. The history of otoplasty surgical results is that the ears tend to move outwards. Usually absorbable sutures are not used in this procedure. I use nylon some use mersiline. We would love to help you.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

After 8 months you shouldn't see any more changes

+1
it's been 8 months since your surgery.  by now your results should be stable and you need not worry about a recurrence.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Should I be worried about otoplasty results overtime & recurrence?

+1
The ears have usually attained their final position 8 months after an otoplasty. However, there are also exceptions when patients have reported that their ears have moved outwards again even later than that. Normally, patients would not tolerate an asymmetry to the degree that is present in your case, but if you are satisfied with the result, you should not have another operation.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon