Eyelid Retraction. Will Canthopexy Alone Fix it? (photo)

hi i have a very mild and asymmetric lower eyelid retraction, some doctors told me that a canthopexy alone can fix it but some say they're gonna have to do some kind of graft to fix it, i'd like to know if a canthopexy would be enough to pull the eyelids up so they would cover a little bit of the iris. thank you for your reply.

Eyelid Retraction. Will Canthopexy Alone Fix it?

+2
It is difficult to really answer the question because it looks like the left eye is more protruding than the right eye. If this is the case, canthopexy or canthoplasty will probably not solve the problem. This is really a three dimensional question so pictures won't help that much, you need an actual evaluation. Good luck.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. With limited photography it is hard to answer the question. Some patients will get retraction following surgery . This may be due to swelling and muscle weakness. If this does not clear after a few weeks, a canthal suspension will help.I hope this helps  Thomas Narsete, M.D. Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Eyelid retraction

+1

From the photo you provided, it looks like there is asymmetry in both the width and the height of the palpebral fissure (the space between the eyelids). As Dr. Goldberger suggested, this is often seen when one of the eyes is protruding. You should be checked to make sure you do not have thyroid disease, which is the most common cause of a protruding eye. It is difficult to make a recommendation without examing you in person, but I sometimes perform a procedure called a lateral tarsorraphy in this type of scenario. This involves stitching together a tiny portion of the outer corner of the upper and lower eyelid to improve symmetry. Make sure you see a surgeon who has a lot of experience with eyelid surgery. Best of luck!

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is this due to surgery?

+1

It is very hard to give you good answer based on the limited view. Please send more pictures and more information about the history.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Canthopexy For Lower Eyelid Retraction

+1

Based on just this one picture, it appears that canthoopexy alone may be sufficient for correction. But it really requires a physical examination to give a more accurate answer.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

I think Canthopexy would fix it

+1

With the degree of retraction that you have it appears as if canthopexy alone would fix it, although physical exam is also valuable.  If your not comfortable with what your first doctor reccommended its always good to get a second opinion.

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon