Is Teeth Whitening Safe for Teens?

If you start "too early" with at-home or in-office teeth whitening, is it detrimental to your dental health?

Whitening for teens

+2

I would stay away from over the counter systems, teens always seem to want to over use them. More is not always better. Age 14 or 15 and up is probably ok to start, with dentist supervision.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening for teens is OK

+1

One of our main concerns when whitening teeth on teenagers is that they sometimes have more sensitivity since they have very "young teeth."  Inside of the tooth is a pulp chamber, which contains the blood supply and nerve for the tooth.  In young teeth these pulp chambers are larger and closer to the surface, so theoretically there can be more sensitivity, though this is not always the case.  

Many teens have whitened their teeth successfully with no adverse effects!

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, for teenagers with professional guidance

+1

For my patients, the minimum age is 16.  We also ask that the parents supervise the use and that all teenagers come by for monthly checks at our office. Whitening is a great service for teens with darker than average teeth - really a wonderful result.

Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Yes..Zoom is safe..

+1

As long as the teen can sit still and follow instructions then its safe to perform. Dont use over the counter whitening on children. They may try it when you're not home..lol

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Most whitening is suggested after age 14

+1

It is hard to get a study done to show younger ages are safe, but as a rule of thumb, age 14 or more and using dentist supervised materials, there should be no problem.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/teeth-whitening.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth Whitening for teens

+1

It is safe to to do teeth whitening for teens as long as the system being used is approved by ADA. My son will have Zoom2  whitening done next week, actually.

Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Professional Whitenign Systems are Safe

+1

As long as you are using a professional whitening system approced by the ADA (with your dentist's guidance), your teeth will not be harmed.  Other systems (those not ADA approved or not under supervision of your dentist) could cause harm...they may be too acidic, etc.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.