Teeth Whitening Procedure After Having Veneers?

I had veneers on all my front teeth (upper and lower)15 years ago. Is there any procedure or treatment that would restore some of their whiteness?

Porcelain veneers will not change color.

+1

Sorry, but there is no way change the color of 15 year old porcelain veneers.  If you would like whiter teeth, it may be good enough reason for you to have them redone.  The upside is materials have gotten better in the last 15 years.  Porcelain shades have improved and there are more color options.  These advances are leading to more beautiful, natural restorations.  The ability to capture more translucency in a veneer or crown allows us to replicate the look of the enamel we were born with.

Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening after veneers

+1

Unfortunately you cannot whiten veneers or crowns and doing so might damage the porcelain and take the shine away. The only way to whiten your teeth is to redo the veneers. That's why I always recommend a very light color for veneers because I know that after couple of years patients don't find the original shade white enough and always want go whiter.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Don't waste your money on whitening veneers

+1

We've all tried the whitening trays to make veneers appear whiter and with little result. It does lighten the back of the tooth but I don't think anyone who wants whiter teeth would be happy with the minimal results. Sorry sweetie. Just redo the uppers and leave the lower veneers a shade darker.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening After Veneers

+1

You probably will not get the result you're looking for without redoing the veneers. If your underlying tooth has darkened and the veneer covers only the front of your teeth, you may use a bleaching tray and place the gel so that it lays on the back surface of your teeth (the natural tooth -- not the porcelain); this may brighten things up a tiny bit. With 15-year old veneers, though, the best bet is to have them redone.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Bleaching porcelain

+1

You said "restore some of their whiteness" which makes me wonder if they seem to have darkened over time. Depending on how thin the veneers are, the teeth underneath may have darkened over time and this can show through and make the veneers appear darker. There could be staining on the surface of the veneers (depending on how well the glaze has held up over the past 15 years). Your best bet is to go to your dentist and see about replacement of them at this time.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening Material and Porcelain

+1

Unfortunatelly, the whitening material won't change the shade of old veneers. If you are not happy with the veneers shade, you have better change them. Adding a layer of porcelain by lumineers bonding material is another option.

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening Veneers

+1

Unfortunately, 15 years ago, they were making everything look natural. I would say 1/4 of all the veneers I do are from people who want theirs re-done because they are not white enough for today's standard. Porcelain is translucent to a degree so veneers that may have been white years ago, can seem to have changed color. You can try to whiten your teeth from the back side if there is still tooth there, but you are likely only wasting your money.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Dental materials are color stable

+1

One of the great things about dental materials is how stable they are. One downside is they won't change.

What may have happened is the color beneath the veneers has changed and not the actual veneer. The bottom line is that the only way to change the color is to replace them. Veneers cannot be whitened.

Web reference: http://www.drtimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.