How Long After Teeth Whitening Can I Eat Foods That May Stain?

After having teeth professionally bleached how long should one wait before consuming darker colored food products? (i.e. brown sodas, red juices, etc.)

Maintenance is critical

+4

The first couple of days after tooth whitening are the most critical. After whitening the pores or dentinal tubules are open and most susceptible to staining. I tell my patients to wait at least 36-48 hours to consume food or beverages that may stain teeth, those include anything that may stain a white T-shirt. All systems require maintenance with at-home trays that can be fabricated by your dentist. Consuming beverages that may stain teeth with a straw helps to keep your teeth sparkling!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Waiting after teeth whitening....

+4

In my experience, I tell patients to wait forty-eight hours. You would not want to go through all the effort of whitening your teeth and then discoloring them again.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Wait 48 hours after whitening

+3

To maximize your whitening results and avoid introducing stain, it is best to wait 48 hours after professionally whitening your teeth before you consume any dark liquids, sauces, or foods.  

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Wait to eat staining foods after whitening.

+3

For the best result, avoid foods that have a lot of color (coffee, tea, mustard, cranberry juice, red wine) for several days until the open pores in the tooth have closed over.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Avoid staining foods and drinks after whitening

+2

It is recommended that you avoid staining foods and drinks for at least 48 hours after whitening your teeth.  Obviously the longer you can wait, the better the result.  For long term maintenance, drinking staining liquids through a straw helps maintain your color as well as rinsing your mouth with water after.  At home maintenance of your bleaching is easy with take home trays or using a paint on bleach after a meal or drink. 

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Should wait 2 days after whitening

+2

After whitening, the teeth are in a reversible demineralized state and more likely to stain. 48 hours after discontinuing chemical exposure, the buffering effects of the saliva will help remineralize the enamel and the teeth should be more resistant to foods that tend to discolor (red wine, colas, coffee, etc)

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/teeth-whitening.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Sustained whitening

+1
Longer the better. If you have taken all the effort to whiten your teeth and are enjoying that smile, why to rush and discolour them again. Normally it is suggested 48 hours minimum of no black tea, black coffee, red wine or foods with colours. Best is to keep them to minimum for up to 7 days after.
Leeds Cosmetic Dentist

Keeping Teeth White After Whitening

+1
How long after whitening can one eat foods that will stain teeth?  For any foods that would stain your pristine white blouse, I always advise our patients here at the Center for Esthetic Dentistry, LLC to wait at least 48 hours.  This is a good amount of time to let your teeth rehydrate.  The rehydration is necessary to close off any enamel pores that might have naturally opened up during the whitening process. 
New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

How Much Time Do I Have to Wait After Bleaching Before I Eat Foods That May Stain My Teeth Again?

+1

Minimum is 24 hours, but it would be better to wait at least 72 hours.

If you have to eat food or drinks that stain in that period consider rinsing your teeth immediately after consuming the potential offender.  Also, consider drinking staining beverages through a straw.

The worst offenders are red wine, colas, tea, coffee, blueberries, cranberry juice, and of course, smoking.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

What Not to Eat After Whitening

+1

We use the Zoom Advanced Power machine in our office to whiten teeth.  We tell any of our patients receiving Zoom to stay away from food or liquids that have a tendency to stain your teeth.  Examples of this would be coffee, tea, red wine, and even some pasta sauces.  After 48 hours, the enamel will remineralize and you can go back to your normal diet.  If you have to have your "coffee fix" during that time be sure to use a straw to avoid direct contact with the teeth.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist