Can Teeth Whitening at Home Cause Bleeding Gums?

If so, what can be done to correct bleeding gums and how/when I use my whitening products?

Tooth whitening and bleeding gums

+1

Bleeding gums are a sign of disease and should be taken as a warning sign that something is not right.  Tooth whitening may cause a minor chemical burn on the gums but this should not make them bleed, and it will heal in few days.  If your gums seem to be bleeding more due to the whitening remember that they should not bleed at all.  The best thing to do is to visit your dentist and get a thorough examination to identify any possible areas where gum disease is present.  Your dentist will prescribe treatments to resolve the problem. 

Seattle Orthodontist

Bleeding gums

+1

Whitening does not cause bleeding in your gums, sometimes waht could happen is irritation from the whitening gel if its left at the gum line.I always explain to wipe off  any gel that over flows with a clean finger. Bleeding gums happens if you have inflammation in your gums from gum disease. A hygienist or your dentist will be able to tell you if you have the disease and how to take care of it. Always brush and floss every day, that will help!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening does not usually cause bleeding gums

+1

Teeth whitening at home does not usually cause bleeding gums.  Bleeding gums are usually a sign of gingivitis (gum disease).  Gingivitis is an infection of the gums caused by bacteria, and if allowed to worsen can infect the bone that supports the teeth-- this is called periodontal disease.  There can be up to 10 million bacteria in the infected gum tissue around a tooth.  A dentist or hygienist can help determine why the gums are bleeding and suggest treatment to return the gums to a healthy state.  Sometimes whitening at home can irritate gums due to the peroxide in the whitening agent.  Professionally made whitening trays and wiping away excess gel off the gums should help to minimize the gum irritation. 

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist