Is Teeth Whitening by Dental Hygienists the Same As the Dentists?

I have done my Zoom whitening 2 years ago and i really want to get it done again. The only problem is that i am a student now and i can not afford to pay $400 again. A friend of mine referred my to this dental hygiene clinic that offers teeth whitening in Toronto for $179. She had really good results and i am really considering to give it a try, but what is the difference between a dentist and a dental Hygienist?

+2

Both dentists and dental hygienits can do any type of whitening procedure. Although tooth whitening is a generally safe and effective treatment for a discolored smile, working with a skilled cosmetic office for even a simple treatment has its advantages.Sometimes we recommend that patients do treatments in combination (home whitening kit and in- office treatment) so that they can get both immediate results and better results overall.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Can teeth be whitened by a hygeinist

+1
I am not certain how it is in Canada, but here in the USA, hygienist have to work under the supervision of a dentist and they can not have clinic of their own. A system such as zoom has a certain protocol that if followed the result are the same no matter who does it. However it is important that a dentist gives you the go ahead . There are many reasons why a patient can not be good candidate for zoom whitening. In 2 years you could have developed decay and you should not get zoom with decayed teeth for instance. Well, in order to determine that , you will need to see a dentist.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom bleaching by Dental Hygienist

+1

When it comes to whitening what matters is what brand they use and how many sessions. The job of the dental professional is to properly isolate your gums making sure that the bleaching gel doesn't burn it and supervise the process in case of any problems.

But consider the price of airplane tickets and gas before getting whitening in Toronto!

Madalina Manea, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom by a dental hygienist

+1

I am not sure what you are referring to since you are in Canada but a dental hygienist works under a dentist and a dentist will supervise the zoom procedure.  As the dentist I am in the office but never actually do the zoom procedure.  You also do not know the name of the product or the % of bleach.  I would find that out before proceeding but I am sure the hygienist would be able to do a good job

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth Whitening: Hygienist vs. Dentist

+1

There really is no difference between the hygienist and dentist when doing in-office bleaching.  Usually the dentist is not the one doing the bleaching in the office. Results are the exact same.  Ask you dentalhygienist in your office about the bleaching process and you should be fine. 

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Whitening

+1

Dental whitening  can be done by the dentist or the hygienist as long as they have had the proper training in Zoom whitening; however, you should not have whitening performed without an exam by a dentist and it should also be done in the supervision of a dentist.  If there are complications, you would want to have a dentist nearby.

Toni Margio, DMD
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist