What Can Be Done to Make Sensitive Teeth More Comfortable During Whitening?

Preventing Sensitivity during Teeth Whitening

+2

If you have yet to whiten your teeth I would recommend you use a tooth paste specifically designed for sensitive teeth.  You should start using it two weeks prior to whitening your teeth.  There are also other products like fluoride rinse that can also reduce the potential sensitivity.  It would always be ideal to seek such treatment from a dental professional that can advise you on how to reduce this from occurring.  Over the counter whitening products can cause more sensitivity since they are not customized to each individual.  If your sensitivity has already occurred following the whitening than I would suggest you stop your whitening for a least a day before proceeding.  Use Sensitive toothpastes and avoid any acidic or extreme temperatures when eating or drinking.  Taking over the counter anti-inflammatory medications should help take the edge off the discomfort.  Once the sensitivity is gone don't forget to show off your pearly whites. 

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth sensitivity

+1

If you have existing custom trays, you can place sensodyne toothpaste in them and wear the tray 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after whitening.  This is the easiest and least expensive way to help.  Your dentist can also order desensitizing gel for you that you will apply the same way but for 30 minutes after whitening only.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Suggestions for Whitening Sensitive Teeth

+1

I first suggest that the patient should brush with a toothpaste like Sensodyne for two weeks before they start the whtening procedure.  There are flouride gels that can be applied before bleaching which often reduces sensitivity. We seem to have the most success in our office with KOR Whitening system which contains a desensitizer and patients seem to have no discomfort during or after the whitening.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Try Kor Whitening for Sensitive Teeth

+1

There is a new whitening system called KOR-You can look it up on the Internet for providers in your area.  I highly recommend it for sensitive teeth. 

It will really whiten your teeth - The system  includes a desensitizer every step of the way-You will LOVE it-

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth Whitening for Sensitive Teeth

+1

There are several things that can be done to whiten sensitive teeth. You might first try to stop bleaching for a day or two and then start again, this will often eliminate the majority of the sensitivity. If this doesn't work you will have to either change the concentration of the bleach or the type of bleach. Bleaching products come in different formulations and different concentrations; while your teeth might be sensitive to one formulation, it might not be sensitive to another. A lower concentration of bleaching agent will also tend to be less sensitive, although it will take longer to bleach the teeth. Anti-inflammatory medication (Advil, Aleve) taken before bleaching will also help.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.