Permanent Zoom Teeth Whitening

Will Zoom whitening remove brown stains from the top and bottom of my teeth? Will they start to reappear after a certain amount of time?

There is upkeep after ZOOM

Teeth have pores and everyday you are in a constant battle with stains. Whitening your teeth is like dying your hair there is always upkeep. Zoom is a great way to get the teeth white but then you need to keep them white. Some tips:

1. use and electric toothbrush

2. Go for regular cleanings

3. use an at home system such as IntelliWHiTE to do upkeep once every few months

Only ZOOM once a year

4. drink dark liquids through a straw

New York Dentist

Teeth darkening after Zoom Whitening

Your teeth will rebound slightly immediately after Zoom whitening. This is why I recommend patients take home whitening trays to use the following week for optimal results. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 Zoom whitening procedures for your teeth to plateau to the optimal white shade.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Dentist

Zoom needs maintenance

Zoom is a wonderful whitening option to achieve a whiter brighter smile and remove intrinsic teeth staining quickly.  However, teeth are exposed to staining foods and habits everyday and without a maintenance routine following zoom in office treatment your teeth are sure to rebound somewhat.
my patients are put on a post zoom whitening maintenance routine to keep that smile as bright as could be for years to come.
this includes upper and lower custom whitening trays, whitening gels, special toothpastes, Sonicare toothbrush, and eating tips such as drinking coffee, tea and soda through a straw when possible.
zoom is great for immediate results, a post zoom maintenance program is great for long lasting results.

Zoom Whitening maintenance

How much your teeth stain depends a lot on your diet.  For example, drinking coffee or soda regularly will stain your teeth.   Smoking also stains your teeth.   Brushing your teeth more frequently result in your teeth staining less.  Also seeing your dentist for regular cleanings will remove some of the stains.  I advise patients to use custom made take home trays to maintain their desired tooth shade.  Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Dentist

ZOOM and brown stains

ZOOM does an excellent job whitening yellow to orange colored teeth.  Whether or not it can help the brown stains depends a lot on what type of stains they are.  

• Did the teeth develop that way? If so, the brown stain may be more internal and not respond well to whitening.  If the teeth developed that way, cosmetic bonding or porcelain veneers may be the only way to remove and/or mask the brown stain.
  • Did the brown stain happen over the last several years?  If so, it may be more superficial and may respond after a professional cleaning and ZOOM whitening.  ZOOM whitening is more effective once a patient has had their teeth cleaned to remove the extrinsic stain and tartar.  

Our teeth discolor over the years from diet soda, juices, coffee, smoking, red wine, or other sources, and no tooth whitening is a permanent treatment.  Some dentists recommend tray whitening to "touch up" and re-whiten, while others may recommend another ZOOM procedure. 

Some stain will recur after any teeth whitening

After any type of teeth whitening you will experience some color to return unless you're only going to drink water for the rest of your life. Use bleaching tooth paste and stay away from red wine, blue berries, etc.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist