Will my Teeth Shift Considerably if I Leave Invisalign Retainer out for a Week?

I have been on invisalign retainers for just over a year (night time wear only). I am having a gum graft in the next few weeks and have been told I will not be able to wear my retainers for about seven days whilst it heals. Will I be able to wear my retainers again after this time, or will my teeth shift too much? If so, will I be able to get refinements to bring them back to how they were? Thanks.

Yes

+2

If you are in an active state of tooth movement with Invisalign and you go for a week without wearing your aligners, the answer is YES. Your teeth will shift if you don’t wear your aligners for a week. Invisalign aligners are supposed to be worn for 20 hours daily to receive the optimal results. Light continuous forces are most effective when moving teeth so the interruption in wear, will disturb the natural progression and actually cause a negative change to occur. If you are committing to using Invisalign for your orthodontic tooth movement, make sure you are also committed to wearing the aligners as prescribed.

New York Orthodontist

+1

You teeth are not likely to dramatically shift over the 7 days while it heals that said your retainer may feel very snug initially when you put back in.

I actually don;t understand why Periodontists don't want patients to wear their Invisalign retainers while healing, UNLESS the tray touches where the graft is placed or taken from. Makes no sense to me. I tell my patient if it doesn't touch, wear it.

Sounds like you are a disciplined patient and take great pride in your dental health-keep it up.

Chesterfield Orthodontist