Can Teeth Be Pushed out with Invisalign when IPR Has Been Conducted?

I've been wearing invisalign since 1/10 for an overjet on my upper teeth & a crossbite.The Ortho did IPR between almost every tooth on upper and lower teeth. My teeth have now been pushed back extensively that when I smile,my upper teeth barely show because my lips cover them.Before invisalign,more teeth were visible.My arch is also now narrowing. I am on refinement tray 3 out of 6. I am not happy.Is it possible to move the teeth out (forward) slightly so I show more of my upper front teeth?

Teeth can be pushed out, but may result in some gaps

+2

Teeth can be pushed out slightly for esthetics, but may result in some gaps (if they are tightly touching now). The gaps may be distributed more towards the sides in less visible areas with careful planning. I encourage you to talk with your treating provider in regards to this problem or seek second opinion. If you are looking for big, bold and bright smile then veneers may be your better option. Try to look for an experienced Invisalign and/or Cosmetic provider in your area. I hope this helps.

Fremont Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for pushing teeth out

+1

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your treatment.  If your teeth were pulled back by creating spaces with IPR then pushing them back out will recreate those spaces.  You can distribute the spaces in such a way as to create optimum esthetics, or you can get porcelain veneers to close the spaces.  i would assume that getting veneers to close spaces would not be your first choice if the only goal is to replace tooth structure that was lost in IPR.  One thing I would check is if the front teeth were pulled back along with the roots, or were they just tipped back? Sometimes Invisalign isn't so good at moving the entire tooth including the roots, and closing a lot of space with Invisalign can result  result in tipped-back front teeth.  It's possible that your problem could be fixed simply by using braces to correct the angle of the front teeth.  Ask your doctor about your case, or seek a second opinion from an orthodontist experienced with both braces and Invsalign.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

+1

Your situation sounds very unique and you need to seek out a second opinion with another provider in your area.  Go onto invisalign.com and find a Premier Provider in your area to consult with.  Most dentists will offer a free second opinion consultation.  Sorry for your trouble.

James D. Salazar, DDS
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist